lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-06-2022, 08:11 AM   #11
LGK123
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Big Battery Eagle Kit

I know these are older post. My question seems to fall in line. I purchased the Eagle battery kit. Installed it per instructions to my 2014 Club Car. When charging the Big Battery charger doesn't seem to ever shut off. The 48 volt batteries are showing 53-54 volts. Is that normal? Or is there an issue with the charger?
LGK123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #12
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The Eagle Battery kit should say in the owners manual/instructions/website or somewhere what the max V is. It depends on what chemistry of Lithium they are using and how many cells in series. It could be as low as 52.5v for the max or as high as 58.8v. Check the documentation to see what your Eagle battery max voltage is.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:38 PM   #13
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
There have been a few issues in golf carts. In every instance the owner of the cart over-discharged the battery at some point and then recharged. Also in each of the instances I know about there wasn't a BMS installed at the time the battery was over-discharged. The battery 'seemed fine' after charging then some time later, fire.... So if you ever over-discharge a lithium battery, recycle it. If it won't take a charge, recycle it. Don't try to open it up and bypass the BMS to revive it, send it to the hazardous waste part of your local dump.

I've never heard of a lithium battery taking physical abuse in a golf cart but it's possible. Make sure your battery is secured so if your cart falls on it's side or rolls over the battery will stay put.

The last option is over-charging. But these batteries come with a charger that should shut off before it gets to over-volting the pack and also have a built in BMS that prevents both pack-over-volting and individual cell-over-volting. So over charging the battery is not likely as you have redundant safety mechanisms in place.
also, The electric vehicle fires you hear about are in vehicles using NMC batteries. Lifepo4 is a different chemistry and less likely to catch fire.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:39 PM   #14
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGK123 View Post
I know these are older post. My question seems to fall in line. I purchased the Eagle battery kit. Installed it per instructions to my 2014 Club Car. When charging the Big Battery charger doesn't seem to ever shut off. The 48 volt batteries are showing 53-54 volts. Is that normal? Or is there an issue with the charger?
for a 48v lifepo4 battery the charger should be charging at 58.4v actually... if its a NMC pack they charge at 58.8v. the pack comes up to close the fully charged volatge fairly quickly then takes a while to get that last 20% charge to fully charged.

if the lithium pack ever gets down to 48v its dead and needs to be charged badly.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:06 AM   #15
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Not necessarily, those are absolute maximum charge voltages. LiFePO4 can be charged to above 99% with as low as 3.5v per cell (56v for a 16s battery). Charging with any higher voltage will reduce the life of the battery for very little gain. NMC can be charged with 57.4v (4.1v per cell, 14s) with a similar 99% SOC.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:08 AM   #16
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Not necessarily, those are absolute maximum charge voltages. LiFePO4 can be charged to above 99% with as low as 3.5v per cell (56v for a 16s battery). Charging with any higher voltage will reduce the life of the battery for very little gain. NMC can be charged with 57.4v (4.1v per cell, 14s) with a similar 99% SOC.
Every time I hear someone say that they tell me a different ideal voltage.. last time I was told 3.6v instead of the 3.65 fully charged cell..
Ive heard what your saying before and you may be right but typically the chargers I see made and sold for a 16s lifepo4 battery output 58.4v to charge the battery to its rated capacity. I believe most typical out of the box bms units are setup for 3.650v per cell as well. I think with the type of use and loads these batteries see this is kind of a moot point.
Old 11-13-2022, 12:31 AM   #17
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

A BMS is not a charge controller. 3.65v is correct for a protection device, which is what a BMS is. There is no reason to charge a LiFePO4 cell above 3.5-3.55v.

Remember, when charging one cell will always be the highest, they will never be equal. If you have your BMS protection voltage set to the same max voltage that you’re charging to then the BMS will terminate charging early, as soon as that one cell hits the high voltage cut off. You will most likely miss the saturation stage of charging as it will go from bulk to off. You want the charger to control charging, not the BMS. With the BMS high voltage set higher than the charge voltage, charging will continue and that one higher cell will be brought down by your balancer.

Hope that explains it but if it’s still unclear just say so and I’ll try to explain differently.

Edit: BTW, it’s the saturation phase that will allow you to fully charge lithium with a lower than max voltage, so you don’t want to miss out on that. And, a good charger will allow you to set its constant voltage setting.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 06:53 AM   #18
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

I do understand what your saying yes. Thanks for explaining it.
Old 11-28-2022, 09:22 AM   #19
GolfNfool
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
It could be as low as 52.5v for the max or as high as 58.8v. Check the documentation to see what your Eagle battery max voltage is.
I have the Eagle 60 kit. The no load voltage is 54.4 to 58.4 v.

That being said they are now shipping with adjustable chargers. Mine will only charge to 54v. I'd like to get it up to 58 for a little more run time.
GolfNfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:48 PM   #20
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNfool View Post
I have the Eagle 60 kit. The no load voltage is 54.4 to 58.4 v.

That being said they are now shipping with adjustable chargers. Mine will only charge to 54v. I'd like to get it up to 58 for a little more run time.
If you happen to shop on aliexpress they typically market the 58.8v chargers for NMC and 58.4 v for 16s lifepo4.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium