lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2022, 12:08 PM   #1
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Samsung 21700 Lithium questions

Ok...this isn't a direct golf cart lithium battery question.....but you guys may be able to answer my questions 'cause you're a lot smarter on this stuff than me.

I'm disabled and have been looking for another "option" to get "out there" where my cart....as much as I use it, love it, and take it....can't always go.

A product I'm looking at comes with the Samsung 21700 lithium pack.

Does anyone know what the chemistry of these batteries are?

On the "scale" so to speak, of lithium batteries, are these near the high-end power storage (more power\more danger potential) or more like a Nissan Leaf battery....(less power\less dangerous potential)....or am I not clear on what I'm asking?

Any help here would be appreciated!! Thanks
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:31 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Samsung 21700 Lithium questions

I have these in my Ebike battery pack. You can look them up - Samsung has all of the specs. I believe they are similar chemistry to Leaf - 4.2V per cell max. Not sure what the current rating is. By the way, Samsung cells are very good!
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:32 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Thanks VA! What I was hoping to hear!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:08 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

As already stated, Samsung cells are excellent. There are numerous versions of the Samsung 21700. The 21700-30T, 21700-40T and I believe there's now also a 21700-50E. 21700 is the size of the cell, 21mm diameter and 70mm long. The 30T and 40T have a very high continuous discharge current of 35A or 45A when cooled but the 50E is only 9.8A. The 30T is 3Ah, 40T 4Ah and the 50E is 4.9Ah. Their energy density is very high, at the top end, Light and powerful.

Milwaukee and other top tier power tool manufacturers use them.

The chemistry is NMC so on paper, more volatile than LiFePO4 but in practice, very safe to used when used within specifications. Lifecycle is shorter than LiFePO4, with a rated life of around 500 cycles, LiFePO4 is in the 1000's. This can be mitigated by not discharging too deeply, say 20% minimum and not charging to 100%.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium