lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2020, 06:39 PM   #1
football1083
Not Yet Wild

Default 2007 star golf cart burning smell

Last time I had a minor issue you guys were able to help. So let's try again.

Few weeks back cart just stopped running while in motion. After passing the oh crap moment, I reached back shook a few wires and it took off. Ran like a top the rest of the day.
Ran it all around the neighborhood a couple times the next week and it ran fine.
The next weekend ran great for a while then suddenly just decided to move very very very slow. Wire shaking didn't work. I was listening for turkeys at the time so my buddy and me just kept sitting there. 10-15 minutes. Then it started working fine nearly all the way back to the truck and it did it again. After doing nothing really, it started working enough to get it loaded up. Took it out that afternoon because it once again started acting right. Rode around all evening had no issues.
At this point I am thinking loose wire or maybe something was overheating.
Went to unload it and it wouldn't do anything. Then suddenly started working. Charged it and it ran fine all day the next day. Ran it around the neighborhood the next day and still cannot get it to repeat what it was doing. The next Thursday ran it all evening with no issues whatsoever.
Then, the next morning, all things were normal, riding towards a turkey, stopped and listened put it in reverse, then forward and it suddenly felt like I had a flat tire, it was struggling moving, but was moving. Drove a 100yds and stopped to get off and My dad and me could smell burning. Parked and went to set up on a turkey for awhile. Returned to the cart, got on turned around, it kinda "herky jerked" and stopped. Has not moved without winch or me pushing it since.
solenoid engages. But that is it.
Sepex 1268 code 1,3
I took off the speed censor and I think I could smell burning on the underside of it, the part face the motor inside, but I could be dreaming that smell.
What you guys think?
football1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: 2007 star golf cart burning smell

Sounds like the motor brushes
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:21 AM   #3
football1083
Not Yet Wild

I have figured it to be motor related. I am fine with replacing the motor if needed. It is 13 years old. I have only had it for 4 years. But I do not want to replace it if that is not the problem. I guess I am looking for confirmation from ya'll, who are probably way smarter than me, and agree I should replace the motor.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

If you smell something burning, then something is getting hot. Find the hot part.
"shook a few wires and it ran" sounds like a bad cable or loose battery connection.
Check all of those for corrosion. Also check ALL the cable ends for a loose crimp or evidence of heat damage from a poor connection, Including the cables on the motor, controller, and solenoid.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
football1083
Not Yet Wild

The cable I shook were in the harness going into the controller. Everything under the seat is brand new. New Batteries and cables, no corrosion anywhere. Nothing around the solenoid or controller has anything that looks melted or looks lose. Cannot find the hot part because the cart won't run now. Gotta try to diagnose off the last symptoms.

My other concern is that it may be two separate issues. The wiring shaking and the "herky jerky" part.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:28 PM   #6
1340Kellerman
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

You could disconnect wire leads and test the motor. I just had a similar problem. I replaced the solenoid, controller, fuses, mcore, batteries, nothing fixed the problem until I tested the motor. My motor was bad.
1340Kellerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car