lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2017, 10:50 PM   #1
zacharyb2002
Not Yet Wild

Default 2006 ezgo txt dead batteries

hey i have a 2006 ezgo txt and i was driving it for a while, and its normal speed is 18 mph. once it started to die, i was pretty far from home so i had to go all the way back home. the golfcart was going about 6 mph, and the headlights were very dim. i was just wondering if it is bad to drain the batteries to almost dead.
zacharyb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 ezgo txt dead batteries

Did you put it back on charge? Is it charging?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I don't know enough to really answer your question of whether or not you actually harmed the pack, and have limped mine home a few times too, but I'm going to guess it's not something you want to do very often. I never realized what a battery abuser I was until I started reading this forum.

Attached is a chart to give you an idea of the status of your batteries at certain voltages. If you're using the factory graph style battery gauge/ meter, I'd suggest replacing it with one that gives you the actual numbers. Cartsunlimited is a great place to get one and they're easy to install. If you read much of the information here related to batteries, you'll quickly see how much importance the guys that know their stuff place on the status of their batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0943.JPG (127.1 KB, 0 views)
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #4
yamahaguy97
Gone Wild

Yamaha

As was said already, probably not good to do consistently. I don't know how old your batteries and condition of them are but you should get 6 to 8 hours of run time with good batteries. The question is, were you driving anywhere near that amount of time when it died down, and did it have a full charge before you began driving.
yamahaguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Based upon 50% capacity depletion most carts have 90 minutes of actual run time. Everybody should have an in-dash digital battery meter so you can know when to be back on the charger. Batteries are expensive and these meters are cheap
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
zacharyb2002
Not Yet Wild

My batteries are almost brand new, like a month old. i started charging them as soon as i got home.
zacharyb2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:30 AM   #7
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The key thing to remember is lead acid batteries sulfate at anything less than 100% charge and sulfates more rapidly below 70% charge. It's not to terrible too run it that low once and while, but never leave it that low. Charge it immediately and always try to keep it as close to 100% as possible.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaguy97 View Post
As was said already, probably not good to do consistently. I don't know how old your batteries and condition of them are but you should get 6 to 8 hours of run time with good batteries. The question is, were you driving anywhere near that amount of time when it died down, and did it have a full charge before you began driving.
I would like to live in this world 6 to 8 hours of run time
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:14 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacharyb2002 View Post
hey i have a 2006 ezgo txt and i was driving it for a while, and its normal speed is 18 mph. once it started to die, i was pretty far from home so i had to go all the way back home. the golfcart was going about 6 mph, and the headlights were very dim. i was just wondering if it is bad to drain the batteries to almost dead.
Yes it is bad, but Lead-Acid batteries are very forgiving, so if they will take a full charge, all that has probably happened is that you will have to replace them a month or so sooner than you otherwise would have needed to.

The 18MPH speed sounds like you have a PDS cart (F/R is a rocker switch on dash next to key and a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover). If so, the 6 MPH was the controller going into a low voltage reduced performance mode.

What make/model batteries?
What make/model charger?
What is the battery pack voltage about 12 hours after the charger shuts off automatically?
How are you getting 12V for your headlights?

Since your batteries are only about a month old, they may not be fully broken in yet and new batteries do not reach their rated storage capacity until the are broken in. Also, it is winter, so the temperature is lower and batteries don't have as much storage capacity in cooler weather.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The problem with free advice is sometimes it's worth what you pay for it
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO