lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
jcar302
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1996 48v club car value?

I apologize if there is a price check forum, i didn't see one. If there is, mods please move this to the necessary forum.
Also to be clear, i'm a long time reader, i just never found a need to post, so yes i have one post, but i've been on here plenty of times before.

I have what i think (based on the serial number) is a 96 club car.
Had it for i guess 8-10 years.
48v with charger (charger works fine)
Has basic plastic utility bed i put on there a long time ago. It's not quite as nice as the ones i see for sale now that appear to be blow molded or double walled, but it's in good condition and worked fine for me.

Batteries are shot in it, i can charge them individually and get the car to briefly run, but at this point they are at least 12+ years old.

I didn't take any pics as for it's stuffed in my shed and once i pull it out i'll do something with it.
Cleaned up it looks like every other basic club car in vanilla (or whatever color you call it) Has roof and windshield. No other fancy gadgets or street products. Tires appear to be fine.

My internal debate is over the batteries. Not sure i want the cart enough to dump a grand into the batteries, even if i replaced them, i don't know how useful it will be to me or my family when it worked normally again.

So i scanned through Facebook marketplace and the prices are all over the place and honestly i wouldn't have a clue what they actually sell for.

I'm typically not the type of person that sells something not running 100% regardless of what it is, i just can't see buying $800-$1000+ in batteries, just to sell it.
I thought about buying used batteries, some cart places within driving distance sometimes sell used 8vs for about $500. Not too sure the value in that either.

Anyone has an input into the value of the cart?
jcar302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2022, 11:04 AM   #2
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 1996 48v club car value?

Would not buy used batteries...IMO, Carts that need batteries around here are going for 500-800 depending on condition. Shoot us some pics and we can get you better idea. Or shoot me a price and location I may be interested

thanks
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

It really depends on your local market. In Michigan a cart with bad batteries that doesn’t work at all goes for $1500-2k as long as it’s not completely trashed. If you can show that it works and can be driven, even if it needs batteries add $500.

Completely trashed, hasn’t run in years $1000-1500.

At those prices here they sell with a day, two at the most. The market is crazy.

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170984
You can try this with the baking soda and fresh acid. It isn’t gonna make them new but as long as there’s no broken plates you’ll be able to get a few miles range back out of them to at least show it runs and drives. I’d advertise it as just that, it runs and drives a few miles but batteries are old and need to be replaced. I’ve done this a bunch of times and don’t think I’ve ever had it not work. It’ll only put you out $15 for a big box of battery acid, and a couple bucks for baking soda.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:09 PM   #4
jcar302
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks guys, i may just have to pull it out of the shed (i turned it sideways so my zero turn would fit, most likely is not coming out or going back in easy) and get to whatever i'm going to do with it. I have had my days where i felt like completely redoing it, wheels tires lift because i usually love a good project, but it still leaves the same question, what am i going to do with it when it's done?
At a 60 mile search range the cheapest electric club car similar is $2750 in my area. Seems kinda nuts to me, but maybe that's the market these days. Just to be clear, i'm not saying this cart is worth that, i'm just saying that's all i really have to go off of.

It could be my proximity to all the shore towns where golf carts are used to cruise around.

I have messed with the batteries before, can't remember if it was epson salt maybe? I'm willing to do it again.
CP, i can't access that page though, said i do not have sufficient permissions.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:05 PM   #5
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Local prices here for a running driving club car around that age is about $1500-$2000.

I got my 04 club car for $500 with some owner introduced electrical gremlins but running and driving.

Comes down to how much you really want it gone. Sounds to me like you are still not 100% sold on the idea of selling it so you would only let it go if you got a good price for it. Can always lower the price harder to raise it. Throw it up on whatever classifieds you plan to use for a price you would let it go for and lower it if it doesn't move.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:27 PM   #6
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Prices are crazy and every market seems to be different. I'd start at $3000 if everything else is decent on it and listen to the offers then take the best one that fits in your wallet. You can always come down in price but it's hard to go up when the buyer can't get the money out of his pocket fast enough. And when people are standing in line at your door then you know you priced it too low. I'd also tell the potential buyer that you didn't want to put in new FLA batteries if someone would prefer lithium and you're leaving that option open.

Or go with plan "B" and put some cheap Duracell's in from Sam's for maybe in the $600 range?
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:46 PM   #7
jcar302
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

There is actually 1 duracel in there, a few years ago one battery would not charge at all, so i bought one.
Currently 8v's are roughly $140 each with tax, so still not cheap.

And while i probably could hold out for the most cash, i am an impatient seller. Which is why i posted here to get educated on pricing.
Normally with an item i find out the correct price and list whatever is slight lower at a firm price, but because the market does not seem to be predictable with golf carts, i may have to take your guys advice and go high and just come down.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:48 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Make a couple more posts, wait a half hour and try the link again.

Epsom salts did nothing for me. That whole thread was my science experiment directly comparing fresh acid and baking soda ro “clean” the battery vs epsom salts.

I think you need 3 posts to access that section
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:22 PM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

The batteries should be a wash, right? Assuming the seats aren't torn or anything, where I am at, that's a $2,500 cart with the batteries. $1500 cart without them.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:49 PM   #10
jcar302
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
The batteries should be a wash, right? Assuming the seats aren't torn or anything, where I am at, that's a $2,500 cart with the batteries. $1500 cart without them.
That's something I've been trying to figure out.
If i invest in a cheaper set of batteries is it A. Easier to sell B. I get more than my battery investment back or C. Both?
I don't mind a little work or money if it pays off.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car