lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2022, 11:57 PM   #1
jpwiega
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default g1 rear axle shaft

Hi folks,

Picked up a lifted G1 with the two stroke swapped out for a Honda GX390. Took my daughter for a spin, took some garbage cans down to the curb with my lawn cart, and then tried it out on some hills around our place.

I rather quickly ended up with a broken driver's side axle. Reviewed the helpful threads documenting changing them out and looks pretty straight-forward, but I can't find any replacements for the life of me. I just need one, but wouldn't mind replacing both while I'm at it. I'd be grateful for any leads!
jpwiega is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2022, 05:46 AM   #2
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: g1 rear axle shaft

They can be tough to find. That car is 40+ years old.

Take the axle out by removing the 4 retaining bolts.
Send me a picture and the length from the outside end of the hub to the end of the axle.
I may be able to help you out.

With that lift kit and engine you may want to start collecting axles...
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

G1's are known for axle issues with big block engines. I have a transaxle, I'd sell the whole unit if you want.

I would upgrade to a G2/G9 transaxle, they are more robust and you'll get reverse. Just a thought. It's not a tough swap, although it doesn't just "bolt right in", it's close though. The engine will have to be moved to the side an inch or two since the driven clutch is offset more compared to the G1 transaxle.
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:06 PM   #4
jpwiega
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks both of you!

I removed both axles this morning and realized I'm wrong, the axles and bearings are fine, the problem must lie with the differential itself. It was clunky before it went out, but I figured the splines were just gone on an axle when it quit going.

At this point, I'm inclined to go with a G2/G9 swap to get reverse since I'm going to have to take out the diff now anyway.

slo, you just have the G1 transaxle set, right? Please let me know what it'd be (I'm in Escondido, CA), but, other than avoiding some fabrication perhaps, seems worth finding a G2/G9 at this point instead?

Any one have a G2 or G9 rear end?
Old 09-16-2022, 07:11 AM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwiega View Post
Thanks both of you!

I removed both axles this morning and realized I'm wrong, the axles and bearings are fine, the problem must lie with the differential itself. It was clunky before it went out, but I figured the splines were just gone on an axle when it quit going.

At this point, I'm inclined to go with a G2/G9 swap to get reverse since I'm going to have to take out the diff now anyway.

slo, you just have the G1 transaxle set, right? Please let me know what it'd be (I'm in Escondido, CA), but, other than avoiding some fabrication perhaps, seems worth finding a G2/G9 at this point instead?

Any one have a G2 or G9 rear end?
Oh man Cali is a long way to ship a trans. It's big and heavy, very expensive to ship, and being that far away....prob out of the question. I have seen where people take them apart and ship them in smaller boxes, but still it's going to be pricy.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:08 AM   #6
jpwiega
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I hear you, I grew up on a farm in IL, that would've been easier :)

To be sure, you only have the G1 rear end, right? You don't have a G2 or G9 do you?
Old 09-16-2022, 08:37 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwiega View Post
I hear you, I grew up on a farm in IL, that would've been easier :)

To be sure, you only have the G1 rear end, right? You don't have a G2 or G9 do you?
Correct G1. A G2/G9 will be more common, but still not easy to find. Most people covet them for using on big block swaps. I usually get them from buying whole carts that are not repairable. Most times I can part them out and almost pay for the transaxle. Just a thought. Around here, a non running G2/G9 cart with most parts intact and a rusted frame will go for $400-$700. If you can find a transaxle, expect to pay $400.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:21 AM   #8
jpwiega
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Right on, thanks slo. I'm going to keep a look out and posted a wanted on craigslist. If anyone has a G2/G9 rear end, please let me know.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:29 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2022, 12:31 AM   #10
jpwiega
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

To be sure, G2 through G9 differentials are pretty much going to require the same work to use on a G1, correct?

In other words, a G8, G5, or G3 differential shouldn't produce any challenges I wouldn't experience with installing the G2 or G9?

Tags
axle, hub, yamaha g1
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha