lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-14-2022, 03:30 PM   #1
Jvelella
Not Yet Wild

Default Backup Generator while driving?

I have an Icon I60L cart. My Town in FL is Street legal for golf carts. I was looking into the Lithium upgrades for more range but was wondering if I could strap a generator to the back of it and charge while driving for unlimited range. I have an extra Predator 2000W Quiet Generator laying around as well as a 1000W, and there is more then enough room on the rear if I remove the rear facing seat that we don't use.

I am also thinking about doing a Navitas controllers I don't know if that would help or hurt. But just seeing if any of you guys with more knowledge than me can chime in. I have days where I want to play 36 holes and I drive a few miles to and from the coarse as well. So this already is to much for my current batteries.
Jvelella is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2022, 01:29 AM   #2
Ramjet1007
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: Backup Generator while driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvelella View Post
I have an Icon I60L cart. My Town in FL is Street legal for golf carts. I was looking into the Lithium upgrades for more range but was wondering if I could strap a generator to the back of it and charge while driving for unlimited range. I have an extra Predator 2000W Quiet Generator laying around as well as a 1000W, and there is more then enough room on the rear if I remove the rear facing seat that we don't use.

I am also thinking about doing a Navitas controllers I don't know if that would help or hurt. But just seeing if any of you guys with more knowledge than me can chime in. I have days where I want to play 36 holes and I drive a few miles to and from the coarse as well. So this already is to much for my current batteries.
I just recently did a lithium conversion on an i40l where I live. Works great! I have read and understand all the concerns over the EMB and the potential of a BMS trip and subsequent EMB lockup while driving. This owner had a Trojan literally explode while he was driving at 25mph with his small child. Luckily nobody was hurt except the flat spots on the tires.

What I ended up doing to help alleviate this issue is to lightly tighten the 2 brake release bolts that takes tension off the EMB. Now the cart holds in place but you can with some force, rock the cart forward or backward with resistance. Now if power was lost due to an issue, the cart would not lockup but slow down quickly, in theory.

Has anyone else considered this method of reducing the lockup issue? Seemed quite logical to me.
Ramjet1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 04:40 PM   #3
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Backup Generator while driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvelella View Post

It has been done and with a Navitas setup too. I can do them in Canada. Here is what they look like in the RAW. They are hunting carts though. Mostly on CC DS Cary All for the space. Not shown is the row of 6x8v lead acids that are to the left at the front of the setup. It can also be done with a Bolt Energy USA lithium battery but, only a Bolt Energy USA lithium. I wouldn't use any other brand.

Works with SME (DanaTM4) traction inverters and Navitas. I tried to use an Alltrax DC controller and it didn't like the setup.

hybridNavitas.jpg

Inverter on the setup. Enough fuel to run for an ungodly distance. Additional current supply while driving and unit is on. Auto-start etc... I can run a full hunt camp and charge 3 golf carts without this upgrade.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts