lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
dtbull
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha Drive, JW9 motor died

hi, my yamaha drive jw9 motor craped out on me yesterday. it has shown symptoms of shuttering going downhill the last 2 times I rode her. this time she lost power and wouldn't move. I towed her back and noticed the dreaded burning motor smell. The next day i went ahead to troubleshoot it and went through the controller, solenoid, and switches. has newer trjan batts, 51 v. & had power full batt voltage to the motor when i pressed the pedal. removed the motor to find the stator sooted up and smelling of burnt, windings. the brushes are full and the rotor looked good to me. had her since 2013 in fl, recently moved tn with hills where it struggled to get uphill back home on the quick 1/8 mile drive.
i know, the light-rated motors are not designed for that.so my question to the experts on this great form is what is my best path going forward?

rebuild the original motor? probably not, upgrade the controller and motor to take these hills? if so can someone point me in the right direction? thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2966.jpg (202.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2965.jpg (209.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2968.jpg (203.4 KB, 0 views)
dtbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2022, 06:08 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Yamaha Drive, JW9 motor died

Remove the end cap to check the condition of the commutator. Check, If the brushes not stuck. Clean the whole thing and replace the brushes. To replace the motor is another (expensive) option, including a new controller ( Alltrax 48400/500 recommended ).
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 06:36 AM   #3
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

In that first image the brush nearest, the spring is on the side of the brush not on the back, Did you do that?
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The guy with the good eyes, but i can't see that
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Are you talking about the one with the yellow mark next it? Looks like there is a slot in the top of the brush and the spring is in it.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:27 PM   #6
dtbull
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

i believe it's in the middle of the block "v"
Old 09-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #7
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

It’s difficult to tell from your picture but it looks to me like the brushes are not wearing evenly. That would indicate brushes that are hanging up. OJO is correct. Remove the end cap and make sure the brushes are free. Replace them if worn.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:12 AM   #8
dtbull
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

thanks all for the help. I decided to upgrade and order a riot kit . the hills here in TN are wicked. it should be here by Saturday. I will post the results.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:23 AM   #9
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

The Riot Kit will make you happy. When I got my G22 it had a new 300a Alltrax. I installed Don's Riot motor, cables and solenoid. Very impressed with the performance w/ only 300a.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51708820686_10ec7176d0_k.jpg (614.7 KB, 0 views)
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
dtbull
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

installed plowman's 500 amp riot kit . night and day difference, very pleased. i think i need to increase the regen as there is no longer resistance when letting off the pedal going on a decline/downhill. does that sound correct?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha