lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
aaronrkelly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default carts runs great then immediately bogs - HELP? {

Not sure on exact year but its a 03+ MCI gas cart. Im working on it for a friend and stumped.

Carts is lifted and has bigger tires on it.

Takes off great runs great thru the rev range - hits top end.....stays there for a bit (maybe 10...15 seconds) then bogs and looses power. Slows down considerably and maintains that speed.

If you let off the throttle.....the cart slows.....get back on it and repeat.

Happens consistently and can happen going up hill, down hill or even on flat ground. Also after a test ride when you stop it will often backfire, once.

Things Ive done to this point (and mostly because he already bought the parts).

changed fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs
cleaned the carburetor

Pulling the choke does NOT make a difference.

My thoughts but not real sure how to test besides buy and replace.

Has to be a restriction of some sort.

Fuel? Larger main jet? But then wouldn't pulling the choke make it run better, so I kind of shelved that idea.

Exhaust? Could the muffler be plugged up and causing it to choke? Cant imagine thats an issue on 4 stroke carts.

Coil! I had a EZGo once we fought for 2 months, would run great then terrible. Had fuel, spark, air etc.....tested spark a million times in the driveway and then we would go test ride.....run great for 1/2 mile then cough, sputter, die......ended up being the coil, would spark great in neutral but under a load would start failing.

Could the valves need adjusted?

Maybe these tires are just to big.....clutches? But then you wouldnt think that would be an issue going downhill or even on level ground.

Im kinda lost......
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: carts runs great then immediately bogs - HELP? {

There's a lot of information there and I'd be lost for an answer also, but to answer one of your questions, yes, a clogged tail pipe can make it bog and sluggish. In my case, it was a dirt dobber nest in the tail pipe. I cleaned it out with a hanger wire. It makes it build up back pressure on the exhaust. Just a thought from past experience.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:10 PM   #3
aaronrkelly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
There's a lot of information there and I'd be lost for an answer also, but to answer one of your questions, yes, a clogged tail pipe can make it bog and sluggish. In my case, it was a dirt dobber nest in the tail pipe. I cleaned it out with a hanger wire. It makes it build up back pressure on the exhaust. Just a thought from past experience.
Its worth a shot....Ill go ram something up there and feel around.
Old 09-12-2022, 04:49 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’m gonna suggest inspecting the clutches carefully. It sounds to me by your description that you’re hitting the rev limiter. Worn or broken clutches can cause this.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:53 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Here’s a good video on proper clutch operation if not familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEvBGT8twM
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:53 PM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Make sure its not overcharging. If it is the cart will bog down bad most of the time. Probably not the problem though.

I have never had one with a muffler plugged up but I guess yours could be the first. Probably not.

I would never rule the valve adjustment out but on the MCI harder valves were installed so they are not as bad as the pre mci. Set them to .004 anyway but thats not your problem if it runs good then don't.

Larger tires shouldn't be an issue on level ground.

Just noticed CP241 posted and mentioned the clutch. I would check that out for sure because if the driven clutch is stuck it will hit the rev limiter fast.

You said yours would run good for 15 seconds. Don't sound like its hitting the rev limiter to me but I have not drove it. You won't know until you checked the operation of the clutches. Believe me you will know when the Rev limiter kicks in.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:38 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Sounds like it's running out of fuel at top speed. Adjust the float. Also when you did the fuel pump, did you replace all the old rubber fuel hoses?

Could you be hitting the governor?
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:41 PM   #8
aaronrkelly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Update on this.

Today I replaced the coil and ran it - no change.

Then I replaced the CDI box - boom.....no bog.

Adjusted the governor and I could hit 27 mph and hold it there as long as I was on the peddle.

Thats a huge improvement from the 19 mph.....then bogs and falls on its face down to 14, sometimes 12.

Didnt like how touchy the peddle was with the governor cranked in THAT much, so I played with it just a little.....got a good useable peddle and about 25mph.

Theres a fine line with that nut - seems just a bit sometimes makes NO difference, then that next little bit makes a huge difference. Basically got pissed off and left it at "good enough".

Im guessing he will be mighty happy with a solid and consistent 25mph.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:11 PM   #9
Timberwolflt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds to me like the governor is pulling it back too far. Mine hits top speed then the governor pulls it back some… I’m betting it runs just fine at 70 and 80% power. Feels and sounds like it’s bogging but it’s actually just slowing down. If it runs well momentarily or for a few seconds at high RPMs, it isn’t a clogged exhaust
Timberwolflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO