lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
Fastmike
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989 Marathon Kohler command swap clutch issue

Hey everyone, New to the forum and new to golf carts and I have a few questions on a cart I just bought.

Its a 1989 Ezgo marathon that someone swapped a Kohler 18hp command pro into. The problem I'm running into is when you start the cart it wants to take off on you and when you hit the brakes and come to a stop it dies. I think the belt isn't slipping on the drive clutch at idle.

I'm fairly certain at this point that I have the wrong drive clutch, I believe I have a 40 series clutch which is for a 7/8 belt. So I ordered a 780 clutch in hopes that helps. I checked my driven clutch and it works properly.

I have read that I would need to swap to a ME29 rear end to get reverse but I'm not concerned with that, I just want to be able to stop and actually push the cart. Right now even with 2 people you cant push it in either direction. With the belt off it rolls nice and free.

I had to take the driven clutch off to get the belt off which I don't think I should have to do. I've looked at how to measure for a belt but I'm still a little confused. The center to center is 11" the driven is stock and around 9" I have a 42 7/8 belt but I'm pretty sure I need a 45"

Thanks for the help in advance! Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with. Yes I know the exhaust is awful haha that will be changed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG0722.jpg (218.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0723.jpg (215.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0721.jpg (213.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0724.jpg (204.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG0725.jpg (212.9 KB, 0 views)
Fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-12-2022, 09:46 PM   #2
Fastmike
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1989 Marathon Kohler command swap clutch issue

So just to update this I put the 780 clutch on with a 45" belt and it idles fine and I can now push it around myself. I think the belt may be slightly loose but I topped out at 30 mph today with it and I'm ok with that.

Does anyone know what rear end would be a good candidate to swap eventually? Fab work is not a problem.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:56 AM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Check your belt deflection, should be about 1-2" max. Yea 780 is a good clutch, you did the right thing.

As far as transaxles go, yes the ME29 is what you want, but you'll probably need an early one that has coil spring perches. Or, you can use coil over shocks, but you'll need a panhard bar if you don't use leaf springs. Any ME29 out of an EZGO TXT, Workhorse, ST350, Jacobsen will work, just a little fab work to make the suspension work. Personally I hate leaf springs so I'd opt for coil over shocks from an atv. I have used Yamaha Grizzly 660/700 shocks and they seem to be the correct spring rate for carts.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 08:19 PM   #4
Fastmike
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Check your belt deflection, should be about 1-2" max. Yea 780 is a good clutch, you did the right thing.

As far as transaxles go, yes the ME29 is what you want, but you'll probably need an early one that has coil spring perches. Or, you can use coil over shocks, but you'll need a panhard bar if you don't use leaf springs. Any ME29 out of an EZGO TXT, Workhorse, ST350, Jacobsen will work, just a little fab work to make the suspension work. Personally I hate leaf springs so I'd opt for coil over shocks from an atv. I have used Yamaha Grizzly 660/700 shocks and they seem to be the correct spring rate for carts.
Hey thanks for the info man! I'll keep my eye out for a rear end. I'm sure they aren't easy to find. I agree with coil overs.. I'd love to swap them in the front instead of these leafs.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!