lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-09-2022, 05:03 PM   #1
Paulzy123
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1992 Yamaha G9 Too fast and smokin

Hello.

Me again. :)

New to the gas cart world and picked up a G9 for a deal as a project cart.
Cart is in good shape overall but definitely will need a few things. Have a couple of quick questions.

Off the top it too dang fast. The resort I’m at has a speed limit of 5mph. This cart goes probably 20. Any way to slow it down?

Second question, when I tested it it smoked just a little. Now it smokes a fair amount. Are there any additives to the fuel to assist with that? I’m assuming it needs a bit of a rebuild. Fingers crossed.

Thanks I’m advance for all the help.

Paul V
1984 Club Car DS
1992 Yamaha G9.
Paulzy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-09-2022, 05:25 PM   #2
Paulzy123
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1992 Yamaha G9 Too fast and smokin

Also meant to ask if there was a way to run the engine in neutral.
When I position the direction level in the middle and press the gas the engine turns over but does not run.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Look behind the primary clutch below the muffler, you’ll see a cable running from the rear end to the carb. There’s a 10mm but on a spring that holds the cable to that bracket (governor) on the rear end and about 2-3 inches of threads. Loosen that nut up a bunch and the more you loosen it, the slower it will go. I’d bet it’s probably tightened all the way down.

As for the smoking, no additives, no. Is the cart lifted? Id start by draining the oil completely, and fill with EXACTLY 1 quart of oil. If it’s overfilled, it can make it smoke. If it’s lifted, then the dipstick is NOT accurate due to the angle of the engine now. On a lifted cart, “full” is overfilled.

And yes you can run it in neutral. There is no “neutral” position but if you position the shifter halfway between F and R it will run just fine in “neutral”. However I don’t recommend that, it’s better to put the rear tires up in the air on jack stands and let them spin. If it’s in “pretend neutral” and the shifter gets bumped, then best case it makes some terrible, terrible grinding noises. Worst case it’s gonna damage something in the rear end engafing into gear while it’s running.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:38 AM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulzy123 View Post
Hello.

Off the top it too dang fast. The resort I’m at has a speed limit of 5mph. This cart goes probably 20. Any way to slow it down?
Are you saying you can't control the speed with the accelerator pedal? Carts surely are capable of going 5 mph easily when in good working order, most golf courses tune them to go 9 mph max with the governor adjusted.

If the cart just "takes off" and goes 20 mph, obviously that's not safe, do not drive the cart. If this is the case, you have something wrong with the cable/linkage to the carburetor or you have a carburetor issue. I recommend checking the operation of the carb cable/linkage while the cart is OFF and NOT running. Move the accelerator pedal and watch the cable/linkage for smooth operation and proper return. If it's notchy or sticky, replacement may be needed. Cables and linkages can be lubed, try using a WD40 or Blaster type product first to get it loose and work it back and forth, see how that goes.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 07:45 AM   #5
Paulzy123
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the suggestions.
I’ll check those out and report back.

FYI. The gas pedal works fine and I can control the speed that way.
I just need to adjust the top speed to prevent guests or myself from receiving a fine or angering the neighbors.
Old 09-10-2022, 08:01 AM   #6
Paulzy123
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Found the governor adjuster.
It was about 1/2 inch from the most outward adjustment.
I’m assuming from the instructions that if I adjust that out to the tip of the threads this should slow it down?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 68D63951-BEF1-4A50-86AA-20D246F1A05D.jpg (85.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

At that adjustment it is not turned up much at all. With the key off and preferably rear wheels off the ground check the throttle linkage and make sure the carb is closing completely at idle. You also can start it holding the throttle closed and make sure it will idle. If not back the idle screw out until it does.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:48 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A easy mod would to be add a throttle stop under the gas pedal. Anywhere from a piece of something attached to the floor board to limit travel to an adjustable bolt in that area.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

With the governor loosened that much I’d say either you’ve got a cable or adjustment problem, or the governor is not working properly
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 01:22 PM   #10
Paulzy123
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks everyone.
Found the culprit.
Carb was sticking.
Lubed up and much more consistent now.

Changed the oil and added just a quart as recommended.
It still smokes a bit continuously.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha