lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2022, 07:56 PM   #1
Claywallace
Not Yet Wild

Default Looking for Club Car DS upgrade options

I have an early 80s 36v Club Car DS. It’s one of the early models with 5 solenoids and the resistor coils. I got it second hand after it had been through a flood and the motor/rear-end were all but shot. I replaced all the bearings in the rear end, and put new brushes in the motor. There were, unfortunately, deep grooves cut into the commutator of the motor but I decided to just run it as it was for the time being. The batteries are several years old, and so they are probably getting weak, but they do seem to hold a charge for a decent amount of time.
My question is this. Is there a motor upgrade for this style of cart without having to upgrade it to a “solid-state cart”, as in just a direct motor swap?
I feel like the commutator is definitely hurting performance, but I also read of people installing 48v of battery to run there 36v cart? I’m wide open to suggestions as I’m pretty new to the golf cart scene. Thanks in advance guys
Claywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #2
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Looking for Club Car DS upgrade options

You could replace the motor with another stock motor. But that is kind of a waste because you won’t gain much performance. I’d definitely go for a solid state conversion first, and then look into motor and voltage upgrades. It’s a fun project.

Just to clarify, don’t run an upgraded speed/torque motor OR 48v on the current resistor setup.
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:08 PM   #3
Claywallace
Not Yet Wild

To add a little more information. Stock size wheels/tires, all 5 solenoids recently replaced. Max speed on level pavement is about 10.5mph, going up hill reduces to barely walking speed, probably 2mph at best. you can walk next to it and keep up lol
Claywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:55 AM   #4
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

if you want to upgrade to 48 volt I have 90% of the stuff you will need plus a 500amp controller. give me a PM and I will give you my number
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:26 AM   #5
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Welcome to the page, Clay. It looks like the above poster may have some items, and you can always use the Site Sponsors (tab on top of page); they won't steer you wrong!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:59 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Clay said > My question is this. Is there a motor upgrade for this style of cart without having to upgrade it to a “solid-state cart”, as in just a direct motor swap?

The answer is no. The resistor coil drive system is engineered for golf using 1930 technology adapted from DC elevators.
Golf is a unique use where the cart is used to move a short distance and rest. Much like the elevator. The rest allowed the coils to cool. Aftermarket use tends to be longer and harder, pressing the coil limits. These carts often last years and years in moderate use in their stock form.
When bigger tires, added passengers, bigger motors, or more voltage is added the system balance is skewed. Any of the changes mentioned result in increased amperage draw and that increased draw will cause a meltdown eventually.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #7
cjpenny89
Gone Wild

Clay also said > but I also read of people installing 48v of battery to run there 36v cart? I’m wide open to suggestions[/COLOR] as I’m pretty new to the golf cart scene
so that is why I gave an answer to part 2 of his question.
cjpenny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
jamoore
Gone Wild
Club Car

I know you said you don't want to do the solid state upgrade but I just finished installing a solid state IQ upgrade from Scotty B. Mine was a total project 98' DS. Could not be happier with how it runs now. Everything is in the kit from Scotty B. Now everything in my cart is brand new. Not a single left over old wire or system. I did not go with the bigger kit and it is faster than I need it to be. Support from Scotty B when I had a question was outstanding. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Just throwing this it there.
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:25 PM   #9
broschb
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I have an '84 club car ds. Solid state upgrade to 48v is on my list at some point, but I just had my motor rebuilt by empinc and went from 10-12 mph to 18 mph on flats, I can go up slight inclines at 14-15mph now where it would barely pull6-8 previously. It was a noticeable upgrade and well worth it for me.
broschb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 06:02 PM   #10
Buttapollock1010
Getting Wild

Club Car

I was in a similar situation. Need to figure out your needs and budget. I got my old cart up and running. I wasn’t doing anything until my wife told me she wanted more speed, as 12 mph was dangerous with cars flying around us.

As you can see from my signature “lil Ripper” is all new! I don’t plan on getting rid of it so I don’t mind spending $ on something I’m keeping. Dave from revolution hooked me up. Best of luck
Buttapollock1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car