lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
Bwebb1986
Not Yet Wild

Question 2014 Yamaha G29 Transaxle Noise

I have read everything I could in this forum but have not found a true solution to the rattling of metal noise that comes from the TEAM transaxle in my cart. Some say to change axil berings, some say output bearings, I saw one guy take the entire thing apart and change the wet break system.

Before I start tearing into this thing, does anyone have a definite solution?

The cart is great except when at full speed on a flat road or going down hill the metal rattling starts. Sound like loose bottles rattling on metal. It drives me nuts, but I can’t see that anything is really being harmed.

Thanks, BW
Bwebb1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2022, 08:50 AM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2014 Yamaha G29 Transaxle Noise

These things are a bit noisy especially when you are cruising with no load. I have two G29's and one is noisier than the other. I have had that gearbox apart and I see nothing damaged or any signs of obvious wear. I think it's just gear noise. Bearings all feel fine. My advice is to just live with it - especially if the brakes work fine. I had mine apart to replace the brake parts because they were worn enough to not have any adjustment left.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:12 AM   #3
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwebb1986 View Post
Before I start tearing into this thing, does anyone have a definite solution?
So it makes the noise when the motor is unloaded?

Its one of two things.
The motor coupler is worn. You can pull the motor and grease the coupler. You can also change the rubber dampener in the end of the coupler. Both things are temporary fixes. The correct fix is to replace the motor.
Or
The gears in the transaxle are worn.

I would start with the motor coupler. If left alone the coupler will eventually wear enough that it no longer engages the input shaft.
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #4
Bwebb1986
Not Yet Wild

Update:

I could not take the noise any longer. I pulled the motor and found that the armature grommet is worn and needs to be replaced. A previous owner must have had the same problem and tried the penny trick which likely extended the life of the grommet, but my thought is the grommet has worn and now they are rattling causing the noise I hear. In an effort to prove my theory I cut two circular pieces CPVC flooring I had and replaced the pennies. Also reinserting the old grommet. Issue resolved! How long it will work I have no clue but the noise is gone and my thought is this will not rattle like the pennies.
Old 09-19-2022, 05:32 AM   #5
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
The motor coupler is worn. You can pull the motor and grease the coupler. You can also change the rubber dampener in the end of the coupler. Both things are temporary fixes. The correct fix is to replace the motor.
The pennies are not making the noise. The worn splines on the motor and input shaft are making the noise.

The grommet, or pennies, or CPVC flooring put a preload on the coupler and temporarily quiet it down.

It will be quiet until the pieces wear a little more.

Quote:
If left alone the coupler will eventually wear enough that it no longer engages the input shaft.
Did you grease the coupler?
Old 09-21-2022, 07:42 PM   #6
Bwebb1986
Not Yet Wild

I greased the input shaft and replaced the armature grommet with no Pennies. Noise lower but still they’re a little. I just down want it to mess up anything. The penny trick seems like a bad idea but y’all tell me.
Old 09-22-2022, 04:26 AM   #7
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Standard grease won't help much, you have to use ' anti seize ' on input shaft.
ojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:17 AM   #8
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwebb1986 View Post
I greased the input shaft and replaced the armature grommet with no Pennies. Noise lower but still they’re a little. I just down want it to mess up anything.
Good. Everything that you have shared points to the worn motor coupler.

Quote:
The penny trick seems like a bad idea but y’all tell me.
Not me. It is a bad idea. I'm a fan of using a plastic washer and grease as a diagnostic tool. Its alll short term because none of it addresses the source of the problem which is a worn coupler.
Old 09-29-2022, 12:28 AM   #9
Bwebb1986
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstacy View Post
Good. Everything that you have shared points to the worn motor coupler.

Not me. It is a bad idea. I'm a fan of using a plastic washer and grease as a diagnostic tool. Its alll short term because none of it addresses the source of the problem which is a worn coupler.
Is there a way to rebuild the electric motor with a kit? Replace the motor coupler? Or should I just replace the motor?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha