lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2022, 04:40 PM   #11
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: EZGO works one day, and doesn't the next

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
I would think warn brushes cause this too. But the connections RadioMan and VA mentioned are what I'd look at first.
Thanks for the info. This is something I had not considered. I will look into checking the brushes also.
XCOP1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2022, 07:57 PM   #12
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCOP1152 View Post
Thank you for the info. I read many of the threads here before posting, and I have been listening out for the solenoid (with the seat up) when the cart works and when it does not work...and it never clicks even when it works. Is this possible, and what does this mean?
If you don't hear the solenoid click when you press the pedal when the cart is working means the solenoid contacts are welded or the pedal switch is bad or misadjusted and the solenoid may be energizing when you switch the key on. Listen closely to the solenoid when you switch the key on. The solenoid should not energize without the key switched on AND the pedal pressed. The pedal box has a switch with a normally closed contact that is held open by the cam in the pedal box ITS plunger. When the pedal is pressed the microswitch cam falls off the plunger and completes the circuit to energize the solenoid through the switch normally closed contact. The intermittent no-go problem may be something else, but the cart won't move without the solenoid contacts passing current.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:05 PM   #13
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
If you don't hear the solenoid click when you press the pedal when the cart is working means the solenoid contacts are welded or the pedal switch is bad or misadjusted and the solenoid may be energizing when you switch the key on. Listen closely to the solenoid when you switch the key on. The solenoid should not energize without the key switched on AND the pedal pressed. The pedal box has a switch with a normally closed contact that is held open by the cam in the pedal box ITS plunger. When the pedal is pressed the microswitch cam falls off the plunger and completes the circuit to energize the solenoid through the switch normally closed contact. The intermittent no-go problem may be something else, but the cart won't move without the solenoid contacts passing current.
Thank you for this info. I am assuming that if this is not the main issue that this should still be fixed at some point...

Yesterday I removed, tested, and cleaned the ignition, and then opened up the pedal box and tested the microswitch, and then cleaned off the contacts with spray electronic cleaner. It appears to work properly when the pedal is pressed. In the morning I plan on replacing Molex connector with butt-splices, and then using the troubleshooting guide in the "chapterE.pdf" posted on this site....unless I find the smoking gun that is causing the issue.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:11 PM   #14
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

This morning I performed the suggested work, and noticed that the white wire coming from the charging port to the battery pack was loose inside the ring terminal. So I re-crimped it. I also replaced the Molex connecter with butt-splices and heat shrink. I have attached a pic.

Still nothing. This is as long as it has ever been dead. Three days now. It has been very humid here, and my dad suggested that it could be the motor brushes. Does this make sense?

I have attached a pic of the butt-splices.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg splices.jpg (109.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-10-2022, 03:13 PM   #15
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the Molex with butt-splices and heat shrink today. Still a no-go.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #16
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCOP1152 View Post
Thank you for this info. I am assuming that if this is not the main issue that this should still be fixed at some point...

Yesterday I removed, tested, and cleaned the ignition, and then opened up the pedal box and tested the microswitch, and then cleaned off the contacts with spray electronic cleaner. It appears to work properly when the pedal is pressed. In the morning I plan on replacing Molex connector with butt-splices, and then using the troubleshooting guide in the "chapterE.pdf" posted on this site....unless I find the smoking gun that is causing the issue.
I replaced the Molex with butt-splices and heat shrink today, and tightened the white wire that runs from the charging port to the battery pack, and still a no-go.

I also removed the seat and listened for the solenoid to click when I turned the key or when I pressed the go pedal. I cannot hear it doing anything at all even with my ear close to it. It never clicks. The only click I hear is from the switch in the accelerator box in the floor panel when the pedal is first pressed and the plunger moves off of it.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:31 AM   #17
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Have you made any voltage checks with a voltmeter? No mention of any voltage measurements in any of your post. You are not going to solve this puzzle without making some voltage measurements at various points. We have tried to help you by guessing based on personal experiences with golf carts. I am still interested in why you don't hear the solenoid click.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:38 AM   #18
XCOP1152
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Have you made any voltage checks with a voltmeter? No mention of any voltage measurements in any of your post. You are not going to solve this puzzle without making some voltage measurements at various points. We have tried to help you by guessing based on personal experiences with golf carts. I am still interested in why you don't hear the solenoid click.
That is my plan for this evening. I just printed the troubleshooting flowchart from the manual. I am assuming these are the voltage checks you are referring to.

I replaced the Molex connector with butt-splices yesterday morning. Up until that point it had not run for days (longest period of not running), and it still did not run afterward. The morning was super hot and humid. So I gave up, but went back to check the solenoid again yesterday evening after the weather was cooler, and it was running just fine! I went out on it several times yesterday evening with no issues.

I checked the solenoid at this time also, with the seat removed, and my ear close. I did not hear any clicking at any point - not when I turned the key, not when I pressed the pedal, and at this time the golf cart appeared to be functioning properly.

I also noticed the white wire coming from the charging port and going to the battery pack was loose inside the ring connector, and I re-crimped it.

Anyway, my plan this evening is to perform the voltage checks using the printout from the manual. I assume these are the voltage checks needed.

I have not really noticed any common event that occurs when golf cart doesn't work...but yesterday I considered that it has been very hot and humid here lately.

Anyway....voltage checks....I will make the checks this evening and post in morning.

Thank you for your time and advice...and thank you to everyone else who posts here.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:25 AM   #19
Cmartin2001
Not Yet Wild

im a new guy to the forum so feel free to let what i say go in one ear and out the other but i have experience with a taylor dunn cart that we used as a maintenance vehicle. for months it would work intermittently . since it was a company vehicle we did minimal trouble shooting and just threw parts at it when we had time. we replaced batteries,cables,ignition,throttle pedal,motor. the cart had nearly been rebuilt short of the controller and solenoid and still had problems. you could take off out of the shop to go to a job and have to get pushed back. you could let off going around a turn and have no throttle when you push it down next. the culprit was the solenoid. it was a sealed unit. i had to drill out the rivets to actually see where the problem was but a control wire inside leading to the coil was broken but touching occasionally. maybe a continuity check while bumping the solenoid around might show theres an occasional open. or next time its not working push the pedal down and give the solenoid a tap and see if it takes off.
Cmartin2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:53 AM   #20
DaveTM
Gone Wild

If you don’t hear the solenoid click, that would be my first suspect. The solenoid should click when you press the go peddle. A Multimeter is a must have tool when you have an electric cart. Check the voltage cross the large nuts with key on and cart just sitting there. Then check the same when the go peddle is slightly pressed.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO