lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2022, 09:10 PM   #1
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default UPDATE to: Need help understanding tapered shaft adapter

I finally got everything back together today. I had to relocate the engine mount to accommodate the "Primary/secondary clutch" set-up. I aligned the pully's center to center as suggested by slonomo and everything seems to have worked out just fine. The tapered shaft appears to be holding tight "without a key" and has not shown any signs of slipping.

The clutch system is working great! I ran around my neighboehood today and it accelerated just fine and slipped just fine when stopped and idleing (buggy doesn't creep). I put my phone on the speedometer AP and it recorded a top speed of 26 MPH. I have a "bare bones" buggy (no body) and a Predator 212 engine which is rated at 6.5 HP.

I'm very pleased with the results.

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220531_090850.jpg (269.2 KB, 0 views)
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2022, 12:01 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: UPDATE to: Need help understanding tapered shaft adapter

Nice job! Glad it's working well. It's surprising how good a small engine can run.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:27 PM   #3
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Nice job! Glad it's working well. It's surprising how good a small engine can run.
I just realized that the photo I posted in my last post doesn't show much progress so I thought I would post a few more.

The frame is a 1996 Yamaha G14. The front cap is from a Tomberlin golf cart and I have no idea from what year. The front cap actually fit pretty close without much modification. I found the headlights on Ebay and they came all the way from China (I hated to support China but I couldn't find any others). The seat came from Amazon and I got it free with my Amazon credit card rewards.

If you're curious about the pink string it's there holding the headlight wires up out of the way of the wheels while I drove around the neighborhood.

I plan on putting a cargo box behind the seat.

After I get it complete I will disassemble everything, remove and/or replace the rusty sheet metal, prime and paint everything. That will still be several weeks away. I just needed something to do and it has been fun piddling around with it.

When it's all done I will post more pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220805_105937.jpg (255.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220805_105944.jpg (261.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220805_105956.jpg (260.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220805_110002.jpg (253.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20220514_145555.jpg (445.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-06-2022, 09:16 PM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Are going to add a S/G to run the electrical ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:16 PM   #5
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
Are going to add a S/G to run the electrical ?

S/G?

I did install an electric start kit to the engine and a battery. I don't know what S/G is.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:50 AM   #6
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A S/G is a starter/generator. This is what typical golf carts use to start the engine and charge the battery. On the stock clutch it is the inner pulley used to drive this system.
Old 08-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #7
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
A S/G is a starter/generator. This is what typical golf carts use to start the engine and charge the battery. On the stock clutch it is the inner pulley used to drive this system.
I kept looking at that pulley thinking it looked like a "belt pulley" but I couldn't figure what it was for.

Well then, I could still use it to run a generator or alternator to run the electrical stuff, couldn't I?

I'm really not going to drive this thing at night. I purchased the headlights just because I wanted to fill the headlight holes in the front cowl.

The starter kit I purchased came with an additional coil that charges the battery. I was just going to run the lights off the battery if I ever needed them. But now this gives me another idea and project to work on.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:02 AM   #8
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

IF you don't have the original S/G some people are using the single wire mini denso alternator. The main thing there is fabbing a bracket as the one wire unit with it's built in regulator just needs a lead back to the battery.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:12 PM   #9
Denny B
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
IF you don't have the original S/G some people are using the single wire mini denso alternator. The main thing there is fabbing a bracket as the one wire unit with it's built in regulator just needs a lead back to the battery.
I was looking at that today. I agree, an alternator is the way to go. I've already selected a location and figured out the mounting. This is great! Thanks for the help!

Edit: PS: I did not know about the Denso "Mini" alternator. I just Googled it. It's what I will go with. It was going to be a tight fit with a regular size alternator and this will give me a little more room.
Old 08-07-2022, 06:52 PM   #10
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Those things a little jewels of engineering. They come in various outputs and the hot rodders love because of their compact size.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps