lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides
Members Rides Golf Carts Only.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2022, 11:57 AM   #1
Jamesn71
Not Yet Wild

Default From a Marathon to a Ezgo Express S4

So my town might be cracking down on more street legal requirements. I absolutely love my Marathon but it was time for seatbelts, better lighting, and more passenger capacity. I’ve listed my old one but no offers and I’m not going to lie…kind of happy about it.
55654F3D-4F19-44B3-BB77-A551B65E2A25.jpg
CC7F845B-7403-49D3-BDD4-4994FA842135.jpg
F50EBAE6-C6BB-4D2F-8C01-C00CAA88FFE3.jpg.

The goal was to buy a newer/safer one that I wouldn’t spend a lot of money to upgrade. We ended up with this.
40421230-4094-4CE4-8454-C00E09382895.jpg
2019. Navita’s AC with roypow. 4 or 6 inch(not sure) ilift. 23 inch on 14 inch rims.

So I will say newer is not always better. 2 hours on this and I was sore. My marathon is fun and stable at 21mph and I could drive it all day. Super easy to get in and out of. It’s quiet, I don’t spill my drink on the bumps ,and I can steer with one finger. I get compliments on it frequently. It fit’s easily in my garage and back yard. It’s just so laid back.

The new ride is rough. Steering is a two handed effort. Skims my weather stripping pulling into the garage. The back seat ride is so rough. The seat belts are not just for safety…It’s the only way you can stay seated! I believe there are heavy duty leaf springs and there are springs on the shocks in front as well (maybe they are called struts. Hell ,I don’t know what to call them.)

The previous owner is awesome and really helpful. I figured I would ask some questions on here before my tech support blocks me.

Project list.

1. I think I’m going to hit up my local dealer for some Standard duty take off Leaf Springs. My theory is that shedding the 300lbs of battery weight the heavy duty combined with shock absorbers is just overkill. Thoughts on this are appreciated.

2. I need indicator lights for the turn signals. As they make no relay sounds I’m the idiot wondering why people are yielding to me at times.

3. For some reason the PO wired the inverter to be on constant. There is a three position key switch. Would you keep it constant or make it switched?

4. There is a clicking noise from the rear passenger side wheel that only happens when coasting. It reminds me of my childhood pushing around the fisher price toy.
0B1697BB-D7FA-4B1E-8D95-4A987219036B.jpg

I knew about it during the test drive. I’m hoping it’s the bearings and I can diy replace. I am prepared for the worst though. I’ve searched the youtubes for similar sounds to no avail. Might this be a normal sound with the regen motors?

5. The 23’s rub ever so slightly on a hard turn and a bump (pulling into driveway). I’m thinking of going with 12 inch rims and a 22 inch tire. I don’t care about it slowing down a bit as it’s to fast to be safe anyway. I’m hoping that little bit of extra sidewall might soften the ride as well.

So much for not spending any extra money!
Happy 4th everyone.
Jamesn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: From a Marathon to a Ezgo Express S4

I know how you feel I had a E-Z-GO work horse st350 and the thing road like a brick the I put buglers on it with thick side walls and It road better and the click maybe something with the parking break because it clicks when you put it on but I don’t know I would ask CP241 or cartmaster about it
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 01:57 PM   #3
Jamesn71
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon willis View Post
I know how you feel I had a E-Z-GO work horse st350 and the thing road like a brick the I put buglers on it with thick side walls and It road better and the click maybe something with the parking break because it clicks when you put it on but I don’t know I would ask CP241 or cartmaster about it
Will do. I plan on recording it and will post a link. I can’t believe I can’t find someone on youtube with the same sound. I’m jacking it up in tow mode and tinkering tomorrow.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:45 AM   #4
Jamesn71
Not Yet Wild

So I removed the wheel and brake drum. Cleaned it out some rust dust and spun it by hand and no more noise. Nice to have an easy fix. Today I'll be tacking those springs.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

The stiff steering may be attributable to those big fat wheel spacers i can see. I assume they were fitted to allow clearance for the big tires or maybe just for looks. It might be worth taking the front ones off to see if it makes a difference, but tires may rub on the inner side. The heavy springs were probably fitted before the Lithium pack was, so softening up the ride should be easy enough by changing spring rates. I dont know if that model is based on the TXT platform but if it is, i guess the front coil overs were fitted to help tire clearance too. If it has the two standard leaf springs like the TXT you could change those coil overs out for standard style shocks. The brake pedal style suggests it is the TXT platform, i just dont know the later models.
If I am correct, then maybe slightly smaller tires, removing the spacers and fitting standard front shocks (unless the coil springs are removable) and progressive or standard rear springs may be all you need.
Maybe post a picture from the front and also the rear springs and shocks if possible.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #6
Madhook
Not Yet Wild

I had the same noise and corrected it by applying the proper torque to the castle nut. I would have never thought that you need to torque it to 70-140 ft lbs.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Madhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:24 AM   #7
adrianp89
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

For turn signals... I diode isolated a standard 12v relay.... so everytime the turn signal light goes on, it activates (clicks) the relay.
adrianp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Members Rides