lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2022, 07:47 AM   #1
tomberlin_mjkh
Not Yet Wild

Default Smoothing Out Tomberlin E-Merge Low Speed Acceleration

I recently picked up a loaded 2022 Tomberlin E-Merge Saloon SS. I have found the ride quality and overall fit and finish to be excellent. My biggest complaint though is how the throttle rolls on when you are just wanting to ease around the neighborhood. Let me explain.

The cart has a lot of pickup. When you are pulling out from a neighborhood street on to a road with a 30mph speed limit, you appreciate the brisk pick up, and as long as you are going from zero throttle to full throttle the acceleration curve is reasonably smooth - after you get that first burst of acceleration.

However, if you are just wanting to putz around the neighborhood you find yourself doing a lot of head jerking because of abrupt step inputs in acceleration. For example, when you try to slowly press the accelerator it the will maybe go through 5% of its total range and then you get a quick acceleration to say maybe 10mph. As long as you dont move the peddle any more it will stay at that speed. If you want to speed up to say 15 or 18mph you press the peddle maybe 5% more and then all of a sudden you get a quick jolt up to the new speed. I'm wondering if there is a way to program the controller to make this smoother? On the club car I traded in that had a stock controller, Lion battery and plum quick motor upgrade the acceleration rolled up much smoother. It was a slower accelerating cart overall - maybe too slow - but I did appreciate just how linear the peddle movement to acceleration occurred.

I believe the 2022 Tomberlin comes with a 450 amp sevcon controller. I went on Sevcon's page and they note in the manual a section called "smoothing output torque". There they note you can insert an "s curve" via programming and this will smooth the ride. However, you just have to be careful not to add too much s-curve or the car will get sluggish. I would be fine with slightly less acceleration if it would smooth out the jerky behavior when one is only doing partial throttle or partial acceleration.
tomberlin_mjkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Smoothing Out Tomberlin E-Merge Low Speed Acceleration

I've had an older 2008 Emerge with a Curtis 1268 controller where you could program a lot of things with the Curtis handset. You should look for someone who's able to work on a Sevcon.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:44 AM   #3
tomberlin_mjkh
Not Yet Wild

A dealer tech is supposed to be coming to the house this week. I was just curious if there was any specific experience smoothing out acceleration with these Sevcon controllers in the event the tech isn't sure what to do. As much as I like to think the techs are experts, its not uncommon for them to be new or inexperienced. I wish Tomberlin had stuck with curtis controllers because those seem more popular and understood when it comes to programming.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
tomberlin_mjkh
Not Yet Wild

Dealer tech came out and the Tomberlin software allowed him to soften the acceleration via the way the torque is applied. I think he said he was able to scale the available acceleration torque back to 75%. It still has great pickup but doesn't having you head bobbing going through the neighborhood. I'm happy.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:34 PM   #5
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin