lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2022, 06:41 PM   #1
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Eco Battery install in an Ezgo

Easy is the operative word here. Eco Battery makes this so easy old guys can do it. I'm proof. The subject is a 2014 Ezgo TXT48 previously upgraded to Alltrax 500/400 with a FSIP torque motor. Both the controller and motor have several years on them but running good. Cart has some bigger tires on it, 20 front and 22 rear balloon knobbys. They provide a softer ride and good traction around the ranch as we have sand, rock, and clay to deal with. Here is the cart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2332.jpg (1.26 MB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2022, 06:49 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Eco Battery install in an Ezgo

Carts Unlimited became an Eco Battery dealer. This is our first (test) installation. Like the controller and the motor in this cart. The battery will be subjected daily use for years to come making neighborhood runs, doing the weed spaying, trash hauling, and hill climbing will be common uses.
Finally the Eco Battery packages arrived.
So we opened the boxes and here is what we saw in our 72AH package.
The Eco battery is supposed to drop straight into the OEM battery rack without any modification.
This looks easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2330.jpg (1.12 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2327.jpg (768.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2328.jpg (764.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:09 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Here is what we start with... 6/8v batteries. The Eco kit includes a lift strap for removing the old batteries. We flipped the run/tow switch to TOW and removed the battery cables and charge wires. Then we removed the 6 batteries. and exposed a giant area for our new small lighter battery. The cart lost about 250-300 pounds and gained a few operating volts in the upgrade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2334.jpg (952.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2338.jpg (966.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2339.jpg (1.01 MB, 0 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:21 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 70 pound 72ah battery weighed slightly more than a 6v golf cart battery at 70 pounds. THe 2 large handles made it very easy for 2 people to lower the battery into the OEM rack. It was a great fit. And they provided a ratchet strap to secure the battery. Super easy so far... mounted the on board charger to the cart floor under the driver seat, ran the battery meter cable under the cart up to the dash and connected the main (+) and (-) and gave it a charge... in 30 minutes or less it was fully charged. I connected the shunt and the the meter. Set the meter to 100%. Set the controller to 300 amps max draw and got ready to ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2340.jpg (1.00 MB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2341.jpg (897.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2344.jpg (1.54 MB, 0 views)
Old 03-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

My initial impressions were the lighter cart with a few more volts has an increased spring in her step. More umph and more speed.I saw 27 mph on the GPS going slightly uphill on a gravel road. Off the road the lighter cart can heft itself up and over the terrain a bit easier but traction is also a bit less with the weight loss... no biggie, just a little driver finesse to get used to. All in all it was a super easy conversion and I'm so happy I won't be watering this cart this summer. My next step is the charger port mod from Amazon.
See you down the road
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2345.jpg (104.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2346.jpg (138.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-09-2022, 02:18 PM   #6
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Very cool!

Are you planning on creating full upgrade kits? So if someone wanted to go from 36v lead acid to 48v lithium you'd have the controller, battery, charger, solenoid all in one happy kit? Just asking because I think that is a niche that's not been filled yet.

Are you going to be carrying different capacities of Eco Batteries?
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:25 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Very cool!

Are you planning on creating full upgrade kits? So if someone wanted to go from 36v lead acid to 48v lithium you'd have the controller, battery, charger, solenoid all in one happy kit? Just asking because I think that is a niche that's not been filled yet.

Are you going to be carrying different capacities of Eco Batteries?
Yes we can do that. We can even provide a motor in most cases.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:00 AM   #8
HOYT9
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have a question concerning the shunt and meter. when you set it to 100 % did you set it to what it was reading after a full charge as 100% or would it be wise to leave a little room at the top incase the exact full charge changes? thanks in advance.
HOYT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I don't know, the instruction says to fully charge before installing and setting the 100%. That is what we did. My guess is that your 100% may vary slightly over the life span of the pack, but I did not read anything beyond the initial setup instructions
I would love to hear if anybody knows more or otherwise
Old 03-24-2022, 10:05 AM   #10
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would fully charge and set it to 100% because that is your personal 100% in real-life use on your cart. Doesn't matter if the cells in the EB are at 4.18vpc and could go to 4.2vpc. If it stops at 4.18vpc then that's your 100%.

But the real reason is because I don't want to be haggled... I'd end up getting questioned by the wife and kids about why my new install never goes to 100%... "You spend all this time and spend all this $ and the cart never goes above 98%! "...
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC! > All things Lithium