lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2022, 04:52 AM   #1
e-iowa-o
Not Yet Wild

Default 2013 Bad Boy Buggy XD Diesel Cranks But Won't Start

So, the course of events: Buggy has a 3 cylinder diesel with about 120 hours on it. A cpl months ago it over heated, flushed and filled the coolant and shortly it overheated again. Then it didn't start. This had never happened. Without thinking clearly I gave it a spritz of starting fluid. I cranked it and it started (very loudly) and the RPMs raced, I shut it off instantly, while the RPMs were headed up if that makes sense. I hope I didn't do any damage with that.

It started normally a few times then I noticed it overheated again and smelled heavily of the coolant and I discovered a rotted out freeze plug. I tapped in a new one and refilled the coolant but then it wouldn't start again.

There is power to glow plugs and they are on a timer or apparently I can turn the key half way and continue heating them. I didn't know where to start so I replaced the glow plugs not knowing if the starting fluid might have damaged them. That didn't help.

I have low pressure fuel on the top where it pushes up then overflows back to the tank.

The high pressure pump is not pushing. There is a 3 wire connector and when I turn the key on I have juice there on 1 wire but nothing different when I crank it (using test light). I don't know if my problem is electrical and before the pump? Like some sort of relay or the ignition switch? Or, could it be the component on the HP pump?

Thanks in advance! I hope I'm posting this in the right area. I notice on the frame there is a Cushman tag/serial #. When I google search various phrases or terms regarding my BBB I don't see much positive discussion except for little videos from when these things were sold.
e-iowa-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2022, 02:07 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2013 Bad Boy Buggy XD Diesel Cranks But Won't Start

That three wire connector is the feed to the run solenoid. I do not know what engine you have or the buggy you have but generally speaking, you should have ground on one wire, live on another with the ignition on and then the last wire will be live when you crank the starter. If the third wire is not getting power, the engine will not start. The power for this can be direct from the starter motor, or via a controller or other means. If you can prove you are not getting power to that third wire when cranking, you will have to trace it back to find out why! If you are getting power on the third wire in crank, then the pull coil may be burned out. Incidentally, if you are getting no power at the third wire, then i suspect that the pull coil has shorted out and blown a fuse. Most likely you will need to replace the component that the three wires go to (stop/start/run solenoid) and find out why you are not getting power to it.
The main reason for a solenoid of this type to short out, is continuous cranking without the engine starting for more than 5 to 10 seconds and burning up the pull coil. Usually because of no fuel getting to the pump or glowplugs not working. If you remove the solenoid, plug it into the connector with the ignition on, you should be able to push the activation pin in and it will stay in until you turn off the ignition.
How this solenoid works is that it has two coils inside, one for pull and the other for hold. The ignition energises the hold coil, and that is exactly what it does. holds the plunger in once it is pushed / pulled in. the pull coil is much stronger and when cranking will pull the pin in momentarily and the hold coil takes over when you release the key back to the run position.

Some diesel engines have a manual stop lever on the high pressure pump. If so, you can remove the solenoid, crank the engine and if it starts, you can stop it with the manual lever. If you dont have a manual stop lever, dont try to start it as you will only be able to stop the engine by starving it of fuel or air.

I hope this explains enough for you to diagnose where your failure is.

Just for the record, if you find it will start fine with the solenoid removed, and stops with a manual lever, and you can prove the solenoid is scrap. Cut the pin off and refit the solenoid. It should now start as normal and stop with the manual lever. this will get you running temporarily until you get a new solenoid and find out why you get no power to the pull coil.

EDIT

I have not been able to find a wiring diagram for your cart and it seems parts are also an issue. You may have to identify your engine and go to a dealer that services them for parts. Or if you take the solenoid off, it may have a part number that you can google.

alternatively you can identify the make model and serial number of the engine and google that. If you drop that information here, I may be able to help further, but without a wiring diagram i may struggle a bit. A few pictures of the engine, pump, solenoid and connections would help too. maybe a picture of the engine tag if you can find it.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 03:56 PM   #3
e-iowa-o
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Cartmaster for the very detailed response.

I apologize in advance for delayed responses. I'm swamped with this Covid business and am unable to make my buggy problem a priority at the present time.

This is the plug that connects to the HP pump. Is this part a coil or solenoid? I will double check that I have power, ground, and nothing while cranking.

The tag on the motor is imprinted with a few details but almost illegible. Daedong 3 cylinder diesel, 2013. Cushman tag on the frame. Bad Boy Buggy on the tailgate and the owners manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211215_194817.jpg (197.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211215_194746.jpg (146.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211215_194703.jpg (140.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211123_201432.jpg (203.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211123_201743.jpg (190.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-10-2022, 02:23 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

That looks like the same stop solenoid that Kioti tractors have on their Daedong engines. So if you find it is a bad solenoid, you should be able to get one from a Cushman dealer or a Kioti Dealer. Maybe search amazon for one if you can read that part number that is not very clear in the picture.

If this cart is based on the Cushman 4x4 hauler, then you should find a 30 amp fuse in the fusebox for the stop solenoid feed. You will probably find this blown. If you replace the blown fuse and leave the solenoid disconnected, you will find power to the third wire in the plug when you crank the engine. If you now plug the solenoid back in and the same test blows the fuse, then you have a burned out solenoid. It will be just two nuts holding it on and easy to replace. this will almost certainly solve your problem of not starting.

Most likely caused by continuous cranking without starting, overheating the coil in the solenoid and burning it out. Again usually due to non functioning glow plugs.

If you dont get any power at the third wire and the fuse has not blown, then there may be a relay not working and supplying the voltage. I know that on some Kioti powerd tractors, there are two relays on the bulkhead. One for the start circuit and one for the pull coil on the solenoid. Usually an ordinary automotive style relay. If one is fitted to your machine then hopefully that is bad and not the solenoid. 5 Bucks is a lot less than around 100 bucks for a solenoid LOL.

I am trying to find a wiring diagram that will show how the solenoid is powerd.

Remember I said you may be able to remove the solenoid and start the engine? well it looks like you have the 3C100 series engine and I think that it does not have a manual stop lever. In this case I would not attempt to start it without the solenoid unless you can shut off the air or fuel supply to the engine or you will not be able to stop it running!

This may be of use to you.

https://cushman.txtsv.com/sites/defa..._diesel_og.pdf

Please remember, Most of what I have said is speculation. I am assuming you have the Non ECU model as later models the solenoid is activated via the electronic controller system and not just relays etc. If what I have outlined does not solve your issue, It may be worth trying a few other things. You can test the solenoid out of the engine by removing it and using a 12 volt DC supply or battery by connecting to ground and the hold pins, then momentarily touch the pull connector and the plunger should pull in and stay there until you remove power from the hold circuit.

In the only link I can find, the three wires are labelled as follows.

B = ground. I assume this may be black
L = Pull.. I assume this may be blue?
RW = Hold. I assume this may be red/white

This was for that engine type, but a completely different machine so may be irrelevant for your cart, but if you can identify which pins on the solenoid connector are ground and hold, then the last pin will be pull
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 08:22 PM   #5
e-iowa-o
Not Yet Wild

I know it's been a while. Buggy has been sitting in the garage. Dead.
Ok 👍
I put new glow plugs in and no change. Bench tested the stop solenoid using car battery. It would pull in but not hold. I plugged it into the 3 wire connector and made it pop in when turning th ignition to run. Seemed to get excessively hot. Then after turned it on 5-6 times it stopped pulling in. Ordered one for Kioti/Daedong and just matched up appearance and th plug.

Installed and now I'm up an running! I know it's been months just wanted to check in with an update..
Old 09-20-2022, 08:32 PM   #6
e-iowa-o
Not Yet Wild

Saw about 10 sources to obtain that part and price ranged from $38 to $145. Went w the $38 one. Seems more sturdy than OE..

Tags
bbb, diesel, has fuel
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO