lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #1
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 03 TXT PDS reed switch

Thanks to JohnnieB I have determined my reed switch is bad. From what I can determine it must be magnetic and shuts the power to the run/tow switch if the charger is connected. Does it do anything else? I was wondering if I could just put a jumper in until a new one arrives. I am the only user so I can just disconnect when charging. Any issues doing that?
Fegarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #2
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 03 TXT PDS reed switch

One of the things I've learned here is that the reed switch has a high failure rate. Most people just bypass it permanently and run the charger cable through the steering wheel to prevent driving off with the charger connected if necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK thanks. In my situation I almost have to trip over my charging cable to get into the cart anyhow. But then again I trip on a lot of things!! :)
Old 09-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Bypassing it is a good idea. I do it a lot too[emoji846]

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

FWIW:
Apparently reed switch failures happening at the most inopportune generate enough customer complaints that EZGO stopped using the reed switch sometime around 2007. My 2008 has a pigtail micro fuse instead of a reed switch.

Of course in their infinite corporate wisdom, they later reincarnated the electronic version of the failed reed switch design in the triangular 48V charge port and you now have to replace the entire port assembly instead of just the reed switch. Fortunately, it can also be bypassed.

Personally, I'd bypass the damned thing (either type) before it stranded me out in the middle of nowhere.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
Fegarex
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you all. Bypass it is. Besides they don't give those switches away either!
Old 09-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

You got that right. I made the mistake of replacing mine, then the new one died. It's a small glass potted switch. It might be fine for golf course only, but I treat mine like a 4 wheeler, so it breaks. I was lucky that both of mine died when charging. The glass was broken, the magnet opened the terminals, then the glass fell between the terminals.

Bypass it, and return if you can or sell it.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO