lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
goldwinger
Gone Wild

Default Reed switch

My 2000 TXT has a reed switch mounted (wired inline ) to the positive side of the charging plug.what is for and do I need I? im going to rewire the entire cart
goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Reed switch

A magnet in the charger plug open the reed switch, which in turn, disables the cart so it cannot be driven away while the charger is plugged into it.

The reed switch had a nasty habit of failing when you are out in the middle of nowhere, so EZGO discontinued installing them about 2007 or so. My 2008 cart has a small fuse rather than a reed switch.

The reed switch can be bypassed by connecting the smaller of the three wire coming out of the backside of the charge receptacle to the positive terminal. Or it can be connected any other convenient place that is tied to the main positive terminal on the battery pack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo Reed Switch bypass.jpg (169.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #3
goldwinger
Gone Wild

Can I just get rid of it?
Old 07-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwinger View Post
Can I just get rid of it?
You can get rid of the reed switch, but you have to connect the smaller of the three wire coming out of the backside of the charge receptacle either directly or indirectly to the main positive terminal of the battery pack. Otherwise, the cart wont run.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
goldwinger
Gone Wild

Well there is a problem.the charge receptacle was taken apart by the old owner and now I just have the reed switch so what now.im going to install a crow foot charge receptacle on the cart
Old 07-10-2015, 06:14 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldwinger View Post
Well there is a problem.the charge receptacle was taken apart by the old owner and now I just have the reed switch so what now.im going to install a crow foot charge receptacle on the cart
Throw the reed switch in a garbage can and connect the red wire in the cart's wiring harness to the battery pack's main positive terminal.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO