lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-22-2022, 11:04 AM   #1
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default $299 Subaru EX400 Engine for Workhorse?

Has anyone here tried to put a Subaru EX400-DS6100 engine in a Workhorse ST350?

I'm asking because these engines are currently available for about $385, shipped. EZGO and Subaru are not providing decent support for my old EH35, and a rebuild kit with Chinese parts would cost more than a new Subaru engine.

It appears the EX400 has a built-in starter and a horizontal shaft, so there ought to be some way to get one into a Workhorse.

It looks like the air cleaner and carb are on the wrong side, and the exhaust is on top, which could cause problems.
Futility Vehicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:26 PM   #2
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: $299 Subaru EX400 Engine for Workhorse?

I am not much of a mechanic, so pardon me if I get some things wrong.

The EX400 is a foot tall, and the old EH35 goes about 17" including the air cleaner. The top of the valve cover is around 15". That means I would have at least 5" of vertical room to work with in order to put some kind of exhaust on this motor. I would guess that if I were worried about heat getting to the bed, I could fabricate some kind of sheet metal heat shield easily enough.

I don't know much about the existing motor, but it sure looks like the starter is not connected to it. It appears the only connection is the belt, so I don't know if I would need to wire up the EX400's starter. It looks like I could just situate the engine and old starter so the old starter would crank the new engine. I am assuming the crank turns the same way.

I don't know how long the EH35's shaft is or what diameter it is. I have to find that out.

It would be nice to dump this old motor because of the way Subaru has abandoned it. Maybe they will sell EX400 parts for a few more years.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:53 PM   #3
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I haven't worked on what you are but think I can answer a few of your starter questions, I think you'd be better off using the original starter with belt if you can....

Step on the pedal and it starts the engine then it generates to charge the battery, if you use the onboard starter it'll get battery power all the time that the pedal is depressed. Bad idea for that type of starter.....

Does that engine you're considering have a charging circuit? If so and you don't want to use the original starter then you'd have to install another ignition switch that has a starter position, let go and it springs to the run position....

As far as your original starter goes, IF it's like the older ones they are reversible depending on how the big lug wires are ran to which terminals....

Hopefully someone else will chime in that has experience with what you're trying to do, Good Luck
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 03:20 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

From the specs it looks like the crank is 1” diameter and 3 1/2” long. 200w charging circuit and correct rotation..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 06:29 PM   #5
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help. Does that shaft match the EH35?
Old 09-22-2022, 09:38 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

No. You would need a new drive clutch to make it easier
Old 09-22-2022, 10:09 PM   #7
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

May I ask where you got the specs for the EX400? I couldn't find them. I guess I also need specs for the EH35.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:45 AM   #8
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Found it here.. https://subarupower.com/products/eng...l-information/
Old 09-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #9
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You might find using some more common honda clone better suited to use with swap parts to ease the installation. A good place to start would be Vegascarts site. A ton of installation pics there.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:15 PM   #10
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Ray no doubt you are one of the gurus here for clones but just for grins I looked around for info on this motor and actually found a company that sells a kit to put this motor in a JD Gator. Comes with the clutch, brackets, muffler and all. 10 amp charging circuit as well.. Around $1200 for the kit.. Just a thought
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO