lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-03-2022, 04:12 PM   #21
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Rethinking the 6 x 8 volt upgrade.Lithium?

And each output must be fully isolated.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2022, 04:30 PM   #22
Starman97
Not Yet Wild

On my setup, I have 24 Nissan Leaf battery modules organized as 6 series groups of 4 parallel modules. (48V nominal, ~120-150Ah)
I have a Chargery 6050B 55A charger, no BMS (currently). I have the charger set to max 4.1V per Cell, that's about 85-90% charge. I do not recommend taking Li batteries past 90% charge or down below 20% , and storing them at ~70% -50% charge.
With that many cells in parallel, any weak cells 'go along for the ride' but do not overcharge or over discharge. After a week of use, I have 2mv difference between modules. That's easily remedied with a car headlight and alligator clips to pull down the high cells. And I have a power supply to put 8V@2A into any weak modules.
I did the 4module arrangement because it fits in the same space as a GC-6 battery, just a little taller. The cart only sees use for about a week, 4 time a year, if it were a 'daily driver' I'd have a more integrated BMS-Charger and lower the charge end voltage to 4.0V to get more battery life.
Starman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 05:36 PM   #23
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi Starman97,

At 2mV/cell difference, I wouldn't bother balancing. They are closer than any BMS will balance.

Why did you go for 12s (6 modules) That's not 48v nominal, it's more like 44v. The consensus with NMC cells is 14s, or 7 modules for a nominal voltage of 51v. I have 21 modules in mine with 3 in parallel and 7 in series.

BTW, I would NEVER run a cobalt based Lithium Ion cell, which the Leaf cells are, without a BMS, regardless of how infrequently it's used. They're cheap enough, just install one.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 10-15-2022, 05:46 PM   #24
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes - standard would be 14S (7 series modules) but that does put the voltage a bit higher than with FLA batteries. I put a 14 module Leaf pack in my Yamaha 6 years ago and the controller lasted about a month. Not sure if it was the higher voltage that took it out but it died when I ran with a full charge. Now I have an Alltrax which is rated for over 60 Volts.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 05:58 AM   #25
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

The stock Curtis controller in my ‘13 Precedent is rated for 60v maximum so all good. It’s been about 2 years now. I’m looking for an excuse to upgrade the controller but I can’t justify it at the moment.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO