lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #1
dhughes214
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Default 2007 Emerge motor issue/upgrade questions

hey guys. Hopefully theres still some tomberlin folks hanging around. Frustrating how hard it is to find info on these. My 07 Emerge SS has developed a stutter at take off and what i believe is the sound of brushes failing. Along with this has been a reduction in soeed from 26mph to 20, and a strange odor. Im assuming its time for brush cleaning at a minimum, if not a new motor. My question is, if im gonna go through the trouble of replacing the motor, is there an upgrade i can do while in there? I know these carts habe some sort of limiter, because i can feel it kick in when it hits 26mph and it drops me back to 25. I dont wanna say money is no object, but i dont mind dropping some into this cart, as its basically my daily driver in the summer. Its street legal and i am the Postmaster of my small town and I live only a mile from the post office.
dhughes214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2020, 05:46 AM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2007 Emerge motor issue/upgrade questions

The best advise I can give you is professionally rebuild the motor you have. Being an 07, you should have the "swiss cheese " motor.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
dhughes214
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Would rebuilding have an advantage to a new motor, or just more cost effective?
Old 06-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Where I am at, I see shops go after maximum dollar and easiest repair, so they just throw a motor in that fits. yes it will work, but I see after a couple of years those motors go bad.

I have had over 300 tomberlin motors rebuilt and never had one come back yet. I don't make as much money by doing it that way, but my customer is better off and that's what I shoot for.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #5
dhughes214
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Ok thank you. Can you point me in the right direction on what is the easiest way to get to the motor? Do either of those rear access covers get you to it? Or do i need to remove a wheel and shock?
Old 06-28-2020, 05:57 PM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhughes214 View Post
Ok thank you. Can you point me in the right direction on what is the easiest way to get to the motor? Do either of those rear access covers get you to it? Or do i need to remove a wheel and shock?
Don't do any of that, that's the hard way,

Pull motor out from the bottom. don't have to take anything else off except the 3 bolts that hold the motor in and the 4 wires on the motor and disconnect the speed sensor
Old 06-28-2020, 07:40 PM   #7
dhughes214
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Ahhh ok. Thank you sir. You got any tips for a small lift? Nothing crazy. Just want to go up to 14" wheels. I thougjt about fabbing some blocks because i dont see any Tomberlin lift kits online, but thats quite a bit of work.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #8
dhughes214
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Nevermind. I found some low pros that will fit my cart without a lift.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #9
dhughes214
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Ok, motor is in. Everything went pretty smooth, until the very end. While hooking the cables up to the motor, i accidentally hit the f1 terminal while tightening A1. There was a small arc, no popping sound or anything, and now when i put it in forward or reverse and hit the pedal i have nothing. Where are the fuses on these carts? I have only found the small fuse box under the seat for the accessories. I dont see any others.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:16 PM   #10
dhughes214
Not Yet Wild
Tomberlin

Wasnt a fuse. After 2 hours of searching, i turned the controller switch to tow, and then back to run, and bam. Working perfectly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin