lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2020, 09:57 PM   #1
J Kosinski
Not Yet Wild

Default E Merge air in brakes

We have a 2010 E merge. We only use it on weekends in the summer months. The fifth summer we went to use it and the brakes went to the floor. I bled the brakes and it was fine for about two years. Every two years I would bleed them and all was good. Last year I bled the brakes and the pedal was on the floor after one day. I did not pay attention while bleeding in the past, I would thoroughly bleed each wheel. Because I bled the brakes so many times last summer I discovered that the air is always in the rear wheel cylinders. Bleeding the rear cylinders twice each and restored the pedal every time. After the second weekend we stopped using it because I could not trust the brakes to be safe. Some posts say it's the master cylinder, and some say rear wheel cylinders. I am thinking it's the rear cylinders. The cart has never been low on brake fluid. Any ideas as to how the air is getting in the system?

Thanks
Jack
J Kosinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-29-2020, 05:54 AM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: E Merge air in brakes

Jack, attached are two service bulletins on the brake bleed procedure. (The Columbia Journeyman is built on the Tomberlin Emerge chassis). I know most of us know how to bleed brakes, but these vehicles are quite temperamental in how it's done so wanted to share with you. I have also seen a lot of issues with temperature changes causing issues with the brake pressure, causing a need to rebleed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brake Bleeding.pdf (764.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Journeyman Brake Bleeding.pdf (525.5 KB, 0 views)
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Leaking rear wheel cylinders is very common, Ive changed 100's. Easy to tell just by taking the brake drum off. You also want to tighten all the brake line fittings.....everywhere. We found out early on that some may be loose and this introduces air into the system, especially after the car sits for awhile.
Ive never had to change a master cylinder, I hear about it, but I have never had too. As stated, the majority of the time, its how the brakes have to be bleed. Done wrong, which I have also seen, will introduce air into the master cylinder and then it become a nightmare to get it out.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
J Kosinski
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies. Shortly after I posted I checked the rear brakes. I found the the rear cylinders had fluid under the boots. There was gunky looking corrosion and the pistons were seized. I ordered new cylinders figuring if that is not the only problem it certainly is a problem. I replaced the cylinders, bleed them and all was good. So I decided to go ahead and bleed the front brakes. After the first front wheel I had no brake pedal again. By then I was tired and frustrated so a quit for the day. I laughed when I read in the Tombelin instructions that predicted this would happen. I went back thoroughly bled them per the instructions and now the brakes are fine.

Now the speedometer is not working. The digital display reads 0? Something else to fix.

I really appreciate the help, thanks.

Jack
J Kosinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #5
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Welcome to Tomberlin ownership.

No speedo, but the cart runs fine? full speed? The gauge itself if so.

But make sure you do all checks and make sure everything is plugged in tight.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:37 PM   #6
Brysen87
Not Yet Wild

I am having a problem with bleeding the front brakes going through the proper steps. Never could get any fluid to push to the calipers so I disconnected the brake line at the master cylinder and only a small spatter of fluid would come out with each pedal press. I blew out both brake line and reservoir hose and both were clean. Could I have a bad master? The rear brakes did fine other than the leaking slave. Where can I get parts?
Brysen87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin