lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
TwankedEZGO
Not Yet Wild

Default EZGO PDS "welded solenoid" code

I have an EZGO PDS cart that quit moving, and gave me a bad solenoid code. I replaced the solenoid, (twice), and with both new solenoids I get a "welded solenoid" code, and the cart moves slowly. If, while moving, I let of the throttle and flick the key to the "off" position, but then quickly back to "on" and push the pedal back down while the cart is still coasting, it will work great until I let off the gas pedal...then it does it all over again. Where should I start? Thanks!
TwankedEZGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO PDS "welded solenoid" code

!!!!!! Be sure to place Run/Tow switch to Tow before Disconnecting or reconnecting anything electrical !!!!!!

Disconnect J1, spray the contacts in both Plug & Jack with contact cleaner and repeatedly insert Plug back into Jack while contacts are still damp.

Repeat for J3 and J4.

If that doesn't do the trick, jack rear wheels off ground and put rear of half ton cart on jack-stands so it doesn't run over somebody or something while troubleshooting.

Using a DVM (Digital Volt Meter), measure and record battery pack voltage to the nearest 1/10 volt. (IE: Fully charged 36V battery pack will be 38.2V or slightly above.)

Leave DVM negative test lead attached to battery pack's main negative terminal.

With Run/Tow = Run, Keyswitch = ON, F/R = F and Pedal depressed until solenoid clicks, measure voltage at: (While Plugs are inserted into Jacks)
J1 Pins 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 & 9
J3 Pins 1, 2, 3 & 4
J4 Pins 1 & 2

Every one of the 13 test points listed should have FULL battery pack voltage.

If any are less than full battery pack voltage, fix the switch and/or wires attached to that switch. (Pin numbers and switches shown on attached schematic)

If the voltage is good at all those test points, and you are still getting reduced performance and the 3-2 beep code, the controller is probably bad.

------------

The reason the controller thinks the solenoid contacts are welded is because it isn't sensing the voltage between its B- and B+ terminals lower than full battery pack voltage when the contacts in pedal microswitch are open.
Three things can cause that set of circumstances:
1. Voltage controller is comparing the voltage between its B- and B+ terminal to, is abnormally low. (Note: "Check auxiliary power", is the first "Correction Require" action listed for a 3-2 beep code)
2. Solenoid contacts welded closed. (Replace solenoid is the second corrective action listed on PDS label)
3. Voltage comparator in controller is bad. (If any part of controller is bad, the whole thing has to be replaced.)

I'm not sure which Pin the controller looks to for the comparison voltage, but I suspect it would be J1 Pin-5 since it should have full pack voltage on it all the time, but it could be just about any of the 13 listed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS.JPG (64.6 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Excellent diagnostics and post Johnnie
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Excellent diagnostics and post Johnnie
Yes it is
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
TwankedEZGO
Not Yet Wild

Thanks JohnnieB! I will go through all the steps you listed and post the results. Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
TwankedEZGO
Not Yet Wild

I tried cleaning the connections, and that didn't work. Will try the next step soon.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Toneytigger4
Not Yet Wild

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread I have some of the same issues the cart every once in a while either stalls or drives at a creep pace now it won't run at all. It starts off real quick and stalls I ran through the voltage readings and this is what I have
Battery voltage is at 38.5 J1 thru J9 reads 37.23 25.60 25.55 0.019 38.33 0.030 25.71
J2 1-4 reads 25.69 38.33 28.30 37.20
And J4 1-2 reads 25.50 25.25 what I interpret from the troubleshooting post is that I have Three switches bad any help would be appreciated
Toneytigger4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toneytigger4 View Post
Hope I'm not hijacking this thread I have some of the same issues the cart every once in a while either stalls or drives at a creep pace now it won't run at all. It starts off real quick and stalls I ran through the voltage readings and this is what I have
Battery voltage is at 38.5 J1 thru J9 reads
1 - 37.23
3 - 25.60
4 - 25.55
5- 0.019

6 - 38.33
8 - 0.030
9 - 25.71
J2 1-4 reads
1 - 25.69
2 - 38.33
3 - 28.30
4 - 37.20
And J4 1-2 reads
1 - 25.50
2 - 25.25

what I interpret from the troubleshooting post is that I have Three switches bad any help would be appreciated
The red highlighted voltages are the ones to fix first. J1 Pin-4 is tied to battery positive via the reed switch (called ignition interlock on the schematic) and J1 Pin-5 is tied directly to battery positive at the battery side of the solenoid.

Get those two up to full battery pack voltage and the other voltage may come in also.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
hwalker67
Not Yet Wild

I get the same 3-2 code when charging new batteries. Pack takes a great charge a d buggie runs great.
hwalker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
Tangowood
Not Yet Wild

i realize this is a old post but hopefully it will help someone else if they come across this issue.

I was getting the exact same results as the OP. i replaced solenoid , speed controller, ITS and F&R switch. Fortunately had 2 of same cart. Every time got the same results. After reading the above post and going thru checking voltages as described found that pin 2 on run tow switch only had 25V. Believe it or not replaced run tow switch and everything runs perfectly. I have never seen a run tow switch cause a cart to go into "Limp" mode but that is exactly what it was.
Tangowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO