lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts
Lifted Golf Carts Off-Road Golf Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
Bubba11
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default What controller do I need for a lifted cart

I just purchased a lifted, 95 EZGO Medalist, 36 Volt, and as far as I know everything else is stock. I want to get more speed out of my cart without purchasing a new motor right off the bat. I was told I could replace the stock controller with a 400 amp or larger and get more speed. Can someone give me EZGO 101?
Bubba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: What controller do I need for a lifted cart

The 400 amp. controller will work fine,but if you could afford the 500 get that one but don't run it at 100% with a stock motor.The controller won't give you any more speed on a series cart but it does increase the torque. I have a 6" lift with 23" tires and an alltrax 400 amp.controller and it works fine for what I use it for.Make sure that you change all your cables with at least 4 ga. One of the sponsors will hook you up...., By the way ,welcome to the insanity.
rxp-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
Bubba11
Getting Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the timely response. What exactly do you mean do not run it 100% and why?

P.S. Nice ride
Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Some of the alltrax controllers are programable.500 amp. controller might burn up your stock motor.I would run it at about 80% ,would be about the same as a 400 amp controller.Then if you upgrade the motor in the future you could go 100%. Either way don't forget to replace your stock solenoid at the same time.I would also replace the F&R switch if you have a series cart to a HD one.Like I said I am happy with the 400amp. but that is because I only had to dish out $70.00 for a new one(gift card & sold old one).The 500 amp. is great if you could afford it.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Bubba11
Getting Wild
Club Car

Okay got it. This is great. I will look for an Alltrax controller 500amp because I plan on upgrading the motor later. I will do a little at a time. What solenoid do I need to get now?

I don't know what you mean by "series" cart. My F&R switch is a black lever in the middle that tilts horizontally versus vertically. Do I need to look for a new F&R switch as well?
Old 07-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The series carts have the lever you are talking about,the dcs and pds carts have a f&r switch on the dash. You are better off with the series cart if you plan on lifting it. The solenoid also depends on the size of the controller you decide on,a 200amp. solenoid is fine for the 400amp. controller and a 400amp. solenoid for the 500amp. controller.The F&R switch is under that black cover near the controller on the passenger's side.You could get the whole assembly or Scottyb sells a cam that you could swap out,if it's a 1995 switch,I would just swap out the whole assembly. Scottyb might still have a few package deals going on to save you alittle on a bundle.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #7
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

To get more speed ,you will have to up the voltage to 48v.I haven't done this yet because I had already bought new batteries,but once I need them I will go with 8 volt batteries instead of the standard 6 volt. The good thing with the alltrax controller is that it will work at 48v also.You just need a 48v solenoid & charger at the time.Some people on here put two more 6volt batteries in the bag well to get the 48volt.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

my set up is very similar to yours, but using a 480 amp lgs controller and 48v, i retained the 36v solenoid and just activate it 36. still using the stock motor. torque is good and the speed is about 21 mph. only thing i would do different is to use 6 8vs since we don't drive far and would have the bagwell back.
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I am having Summer Sales on controller packages. Check out Pkg # 404B ~ it includes a 500 amp FSIP tunable controller and a 400 amp Superduty solenoid.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
rxp-rider
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I am having Summer Sales on controller packages. Check out Pkg # 404B ~ it includes a 500 amp FSIP tunable controller and a 400 amp Superduty solenoid.

There you go.......
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Lifted Golf Carts