lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Default Alltrax DCX400 + Solenoid

I apologize for the flurry of questions I will be writing.
Thanks to Scottyb, I will be receiving a DCX400 controller and an HD Solenoid. He hooked me up. Thanks Scotty!

1. I was told I would be receiving a resistor and diode for the solenoid. What does this mean, how do I install it, where does it go, etc?

2. For the controller fuse, I will be installing it on the + terminal on the battery nearest the controller. (Pic included) Which wires go on the fuse? What size nut and bolt to use?

Any other voluntary information I should know, please explain it.

Almost forgot, my cart is a 2004 EZGO PDS.

Thanks for all the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDS6 copy.jpg (66.5 KB, 54 views)
ezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-11-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax DCX400 + Solenoid

resistor goes across the 2 large posts of the solenoid, Diode goes across the 2 small posts with the banded side towards the "hot" wire.

The "old" instructions for the Fuse on an Alltrax used to say that it should be fused on the Negative side. The new instructions say either Positive or Negative side. Use a 5/16 x 18 bolt, nut, lockwasher and 2 flat washers for the install. I typically pull both the main power wire and the charger wire off the post and install them on the "fused" side of the fuse.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #3
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
resistor goes across the 2 large posts of the solenoid, Diode goes across the 2 small posts with the banded side towards the "hot" wire.

The "old" instructions for the Fuse on an Alltrax used to say that it should be fused on the Negative side. The new instructions say either Positive or Negative side. Use a 5/16 x 18 bolt, nut, lockwasher and 2 flat washers for the install. I typically pull both the main power wire and the charger wire off the post and install them on the "fused" side of the fuse.
Thanks rabbit. I am sure I will understand the resistor and diode part a little better when I get it, but do you know a thread where there are pics, or have pics? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
aussiecart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I did up a plan when I upgraded mine, do up a plan and scotty will check it for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Controller Install.jpg (17.9 KB, 87 views)
aussiecart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
ezgokid
resident idiot

E-Z-GO

Thanks Aussie!
Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The solenoid is a simple on/off switch for high amperage loads. The resistor and diode protect the solenoid contacts and the controller.
The solenoid is not made polarity specific. The resistor is not polarity specific. Only the diode has a positive and negative end. The diode connects to the small terminals which is the activation circuit.
You decide which side is positive and negative on the small terminals (activation circuit) It is easiest to copy the layout of your original wiring so your secondary wires reach easily.
The diode is clearly marked with a band on the POSITIVE end.... see pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4197.jpg (60.1 KB, 34 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

not to hijack the thread, but shouldn't you be using this diode with that solenoid Scotty?
http://www.nivelparts.com/pages/product.aspx?sku=30913
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can use that diode. The diode in the picture is the same value. The 400 amp Solenoid in the picture comes in both 36 and 48 volts which would use either a 1amp or a 3amp diode depending upon the voltage...
Old 11-12-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Kid

When you open the cover this is what you should see.

You will then remove the old controller solenoid etc and be left with this.

This is just a basic picture of installing your new controller along with the solenoid installed.

This is just showing some of the wires hooked up, none are tightened yet, but it shows what everyone else has been showing you.
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good Pics mark. I like the way you moved the solenoid down so you could access the serial terminal.

Note that LH's solenoid is positioned upright. I saw another Solenoid on the site tonight that was mounted upside down. You want gravity to work in favor of a disconnect in case of failure ... Just saw one in my email too. So, thought i would throw that out there.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO