lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Alltrax MZJ Solenoid wiring

Hi guys,

I'm preparing to upgrade my 1992 36V Club Car from V-glide and resistors to a controller and PB-6. Parts are starting to show up at the door

(Lots of pictures to follow soon....)

I will be using an Alltrax AXE4845 controller, and the Alltrax MZJ-400S solenoid. The solenoid is marked with a '1' on the right side and a '2' on the left side. I would like to know what side is considered 'positive' and what side is considered 'negative'.

I found a thread that had a picture of the solenoid. I can see the diode stripe positioned so that I would assume that the '1' on the right is the positive side.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...nally-did.html

Can anyone confirm the correct orientation of these solenoids?
Xact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax MZJ Solenoid wiring

I may have answered my own question, based on another picture found in this thread:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...solenoid+diode
Old 07-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

Why dont you give a quick answer to your question for future use as people search the threads...yours has a great thread title for a future search
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sorry, I didn't think of that

Look again at the solenoid sold by Alltrax in the thread:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...solenoid+diode

These solenoids have a #1 marked on the top right side, and a #2 mark on the top left side. The number #1 is the positive side, and the #2 is the negative side.

The diode should be mounted with the band towards the #1 side. I confirmed the orientation with literature included with the Alltrax controller.

The diode also has a red wire designating the side to orient to the positive side of the solenoid, and a black wire designating the side to orient to the negative side of the solenoid.

My understanding of solenoid operation is that the large connectors at the top of the solenoid could, in theory, be hooked up either positive or negative. Also, the resistor can be oriented in either direction.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
bigk
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Alltrax MZJ Solenoid wiring

If they were hooked up backwards what would be the result? the resister and diode that is ??
bigk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

Orientation of the resistor is not important. It will function correctly either way.

Orientation of the diode is extremely important! The diode is a protection device for the solenoid. The purpose of the diode is to 'clamp' the energy that remains when the solenoid is shut off.

Failure to orient the band of the diode to the positive side will blow the diode. That's a small price to pay.

Running a solenoid without the diode risks damaging the solenoid. That's a much bigger cost!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #7
oxfordlawn
just hangin' around

Club Car

actually the diode is meant to protect the controller. the one way action will not allow a voltage spike which is caused when the solenoid opens and closes, to travel back to the controller and burn it out.

heres some good reading on the subject
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alltrax-Contactor-Fuse-Diode-Lessons-Learned.pdf (428.6 KB, 20 views)
oxfordlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
Xact1
Gone Wild

Club Car

oxfordlawn,

That's what I meant to say, but I'm tired

Yes, the purpose of the diode is to prevent damage to the controller.

Blowing the diode is one thing.

Ruining the controller is another
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car