lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2023, 03:39 PM   #1
Ldom
Not Yet Wild

Default Charging a single 6V battery question

Hello,

I bought an old Melex 252 a while back with fairly good batteries. I charged them and filled with distilled water and then took them out of the cart due to having to do some repairs.

It's now been a while and I thought I could charge them one by one with my charger that I normally use to maintain car och motorcycle batteries.
But I am not very good at this and was I little confused by the specifications of the charger.

My batteries are DEKA GC15 230Ah x6.

I attached the specs of my charger below.

What does it mean when it says charger capacity 10-80Ah? Is it not suitable for my 6V 230Ah then? Or am I understanding it wrong?
I am also wondering what it should read on the charger when it is full? I left the charger on over night and during this day and the charger was not showing full yet but switching between 7.4-7.5V. Is that correct?

Sorry for the dumb questions, just wanted to understand this and make sure I can use this charger on the batteries.

Thank you very much in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 21.26.35.jpg (20.3 KB, 0 views)
Ldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2023, 07:16 PM   #2
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging a single 6V battery question

It's a 4 amp charger only, capable to charge batteries from 10 - 80ah capacity but, not capable to fully charge your 230ah batterie. To do that, you'll need a 20-25 amp unit.
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 05:17 AM   #3
mlj427
Gone Wild

As long as it is set to 6 volts I think you will be fine. Just takes longer to fully charge it.
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 07:40 AM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Even when charging for a month, the battery will never come to " full "
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 08:19 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Lets assume the need to get the batteries up enough for the cart charger to kick in then it should cope with that, but to fully charge, as ojo says, it would not happen.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 12:10 PM   #6
mlj427
Gone Wild

Please educate me on this. My cart has a DPI charger to charge 8 6volt batteries and it is a 18 amp charger. Why wouldn’t a 4 amp charger fully charge a 6volt battery? Right now I use a Batteryminder 2 amp charger to charge my batteries while I am getting the body painted. I just move it from set to set. It takes about 24 hours then it goes into float mode where it is fully charged. Not trying to get into a argument but really don’t understand and I know you guys have more experience then I do.
Thanks
Mike
mlj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:39 PM   #7
Ldom
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojo View Post
Even when charging for a month, the battery will never come to " full "
Okay, somehow I thought the charger could do it but it would take longer. So I’m not really following how this works, I have much to learn..

The charger that came with the cart, is a 36V 30A.
Ldom is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts