lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2023, 09:19 PM   #111
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Drop in lithium replacement for 48v Club Car

I can remember when I started riding motorcycles (about 50 years ago now). Bought a brand new, shiny motorcycle and the owner of the shop (and a buddy of mine) took me over to the helmet section to look around. I said something like "these dang things are expensive" and he asked me what my head was worth. Needless to say, to this day I still buy the best helmet that I can.

I'm thinking "fear" and "scare" may not have been good words for you. I also think that "stupidity' and "ignorance" may be words for the uninformed and may not be accurate either. When a bunch of people advise against something (not out of fear) I take it as helpful. I don't wear a helmet out of fear; I wear it out of respect for myself and those that I could leave behind if I ever had a catastrophic head injury (and I understand that the helmet may not always protect me and that motorcycles are dangerous)

Happy to hear that you will be protecting not only your investment but also your home and possibly those you love
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2023, 01:16 AM   #112
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

My intention wasn't to not use them now. I just don't believe I would have had an issue with the cart if I hadn't abandoned the repair due to the rest of life. The fact I had a second cart at the ranch allowed my negligence.
That said, in seeing and dealing with issues with others accessing the carts when I'm not there and some of the other things I've gotten experience on repairing it's not just me I have to insure for.
So yes, I would need help in selecting and installing some applicable units.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
passthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:19 AM   #113
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Wow, you've dodged a few bullets in your life, well all except for that one that actually hit you

I'm glad you're going to install BMS's on all carts. It seemed from your last post yesterday that you had no intention of doing so. There are many of us here that are willing to help you if needed, both in selecting BMS's and in stalling them.
At some point we all go home. Just figure when I've served my purpose I'll go. Not my decision when and I'm sure His timing is right anyway. After the LAD clog though I realized every single day was a gift. I enjoy every one. Regardless of work, pain or concerns.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:21 AM   #114
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
I can remember when I started riding motorcycles (about 50 years ago now). Bought a brand new, shiny motorcycle and the owner of the shop (and a buddy of mine) took me over to the helmet section to look around. I said something like "these dang things are expensive" and he asked me what my head was worth. Needless to say, to this day I still buy the best helmet that I can.

I'm thinking "fear" and "scare" may not have been good words for you. I also think that "stupidity' and "ignorance" may be words for the uninformed and may not be accurate either. When a bunch of people advise against something (not out of fear) I take it as helpful. I don't wear a helmet out of fear; I wear it out of respect for myself and those that I could leave behind if I ever had a catastrophic head injury (and I understand that the helmet may not always protect me and that motorcycles are dangerous)

Happy to hear that you will be protecting not only your investment but also your home and possibly those you love [emoji106]
I would substitute "strong willed" and "risk taker". [emoji1]

Old 03-07-2023, 04:19 AM   #115
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthru View Post
So yes, I would need help in selecting and installing some applicable units.
A bit of info on your carts and how they are used will be required so as to recommend a BMS with enough current handling capability. The Leaf cells are very capable cells and we don’t need to protect them from over current, just over/under voltage. Your carts won’t pull enough current to damage the cells. We do need to make sure that the BMS isn’t the limiting factor when it comes to current delivery though. Oh, and are all carts 48v?
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:53 AM   #116
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Question Re: Drop in lithium replacement for 48v Club Car

Life’s a risk every day we wake up. Some choose to consider options to reduce that risk. Others have great stories to tell. Others just aren’t around to tell the story.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #117
simicrintz
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthru View Post
I would substitute "strong willed" and "risk taker". [emoji1]Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk
I will admit to having a bit of the same in me; keep it up (within reason!)!
simicrintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 01:15 PM   #118
passthru
Gone Wild

Club Car

The carts are used for the ranch. Not hilly terrain. All have upgraded motors, upgraded controllers and bigger tires and lifts. Hunters, dead animals, a few sacks of feed now and then. Road broadcast feeder on the front holds 50lbs of corn. The cart I killed is a 2001 'CC DS Regen with a 500 amp altrax and admiral a2 motor.
The other I have is a 2000 TXT with a 500amp altrax and I'm not sure of motor make. Was a buddies and I bought it. I've broken two rear axles recently and if that trend continues I may scrap that cart and just move the battery to the CC but we will see. I took off the extensions so maybe the less leverage will solve the issue.
The other cart at the ranch is a Bad boy buggie.

Old 03-07-2023, 04:26 PM   #119
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004925083335.html

Something like this will cover you. 300A continuous and 600A peak. 7S-21S so will be able to be reused if you decide to change to LiFePO4 in the future, which is 16S for 48v. Your existing leaf setup is 14S. About $125 shipped and has Bluetooth.

Simply have to wire it inline with the negative output with all current now flowing THROUGH the BMS, and wire 15 individual cables to ground and each cell positive.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 09:53 PM   #120
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004925083335.html

Something like this will cover you. 300A continuous and 600A peak. 7S-21S so will be able to be reused if you decide to change to LiFePO4 in the future, which is 16S for 48v. Your existing leaf setup is 14S. About $125 shipped and has Bluetooth.

Simply have to wire it inline with the negative output with all current now flowing THROUGH the BMS, and wire 15 individual cables to ground and each cell positive.
Thats what im using and I can tell you the actual mechanical relay they use inside is very heavy duty and actually speced for 500a... The contacts are much larger than the "400amp" orange solenoid contacts and have a lot more surface area. You can also turn up the max amp setting in the app likely for this reason which kind of makes me wonder why they rated it for 300A continuous? even the shunt inside is setup for 500amps.

They make a better version with automatic active balancing built in and its good for 5-24s but its a bit pricier.

also other "brands" like Qucc sell these too but I think the JBD version is your best bet.

these guys in the states carry them as well as all kinds of deals on used cells.
https://batteryhookup.com/products/7...ithium-ion-bms
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car