lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2023, 11:35 AM   #1
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Pulled the Trigger

So after much going back and forth with building my own pack or spending the extra $ for a drop in pack I decided to pull the trigger on the Big Battery Falcon Elite.

https://bigbattery.com/products/48v-...4-61ah-3-1kwh/

I use the cart daily during the week at work to run around the ground to various buildings and after doing some logs I had some concerns about my current not very old FLA batteries.

During logging I was seeing around 200a peak for short bursts on hard packed stuff and a sustained of around 120-140a on the looser packed materials (Mud, Snow, and Sawdust) around the grounds of the saw mill here. Cart has a Navitas controller on it as my signature states so I have some flexibility there.

One thing I have seen in the logs and knew was something FLA suffered from was voltage drop. However, In my logs I have done I have seen as much as up to 9v of sag under peak load. This seems excessive to me and was part of the reason I decided to pull the trigger now and not wait any longer.

Can anyone confirm that the sag is excessive? Also with going to Lithium and that sag being reduced should I expect to see my motor draws go down or will it pull more because the lithium will be able to supply more?

Thanks all that have helped along the process with my other lithium questions and I look forward to this next mod step.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2023, 03:08 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Pulled the Trigger

The rule of thumb for voltage sag is that if during load testing the voltage drops more than the voltage of one battery something is wrong.

With the 300lb weight loss, all of those readings will change.

In MN you better get a heating blanket for those batteries.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
The rule of thumb for voltage sag is that if during load testing the voltage drops more than the voltage of one battery something is wrong.

With the 300lb weight loss, all of those readings will change.

In MN you better get a heating blanket for those batteries.
Cart is stored in doors and driven from one heated building to another. Spends very little time outside when not in transit.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:55 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
During logging I was seeing around 200a peak for short bursts on hard packed stuff and a sustained of around 120-140a on the looser packed materials (Mud, Snow, and Sawdust) around the grounds of the saw mill here.
Sorry, this sentence lead me to believe it was used outside.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:26 AM   #5
jasonojordan
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Sorry, this sentence lead me to believe it was used outside.
No problem. It is used outside for sure but not stored outside. The cold temps only become an issue when the pack temp equalizes with the outside temp down to temps that lithium is not happy with. Just driving it around outside the period of time I do won't be an issue.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:33 AM   #6
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Max charging voltage for a 16s lifepo4 pack is 58.4v .. not the 58.8v (for NMC) they spec for max. As ive learned the pack will actually charge better without issues with a spiking cell at the top if the charging voltage is slightly less than 58.4v.. im using 58v on my solar charger for this reason. I have to open my new 20amp charger and look for an adjustment pot yet.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car