lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2022, 10:11 AM   #1
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Default Renogy 500 O n The Blink....Literally

The end of the year has brought about an interesting problem.
I had not used my CC w/ HSKY 48V setup in a couple of weeks.
After last use I charged the battery.
The Reongy 500 showed 100% charge and other appropriate readings.

Today, when I powered on the battery, the 500 display blinked 0ah charge and 0.0% charge. It DID register the voltage accurately.
It would beep after about 10 sec, then beep again at 20 seconds and stop blinking. Readings did not change.....

The cart operates normally.

Has anybody encountered this before?? I was unsuccessful at researching the forum....

Happy New Year to all y'all !!
Ronno6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2022, 10:57 AM   #2
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Renogy 500 O n The Blink....Literally

Did the battery shut off during that prolonged period? It could be that the Renogy lost power and when powered back up has powered up at 0%. Give the battery a full charge to reset the meter to 100%.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:30 AM   #3
Ronno6
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Did the battery shut off during that prolonged period? It could be that the Renogy lost power and when powered back up has powered up at 0%. Give the battery a full charge to reset the meter to 100%.
I switch the battery off at the end of the day...every time.
The Renogy had always come up with correct information...every time til this morn..
Old 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Maybe this time it was longer than normal and memory was lost. Also, there’s no need to shut the battery off at the end of each day. Anyhow, give it a full charge to get it back in sync.
Old 12-31-2022, 06:30 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Pretty sure the renogy needs to always see voltage and be powered up for it to work.

I never disconnect mine or shut anything off. Whatever draw coming from the renogy meter is small enough it would probably take a year to kill a pack
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:33 PM   #6
bmmonahan
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

This must be the issue I am having with my Renogy. The roypow s51105p automatically shuts off after 8 hours. When I power the battery back on the Renogy sometimes shows 0% and 0 ah.
bmmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 01:44 PM   #7
Ronno6
Gone Wild

I stuck the charger on it and it shows 100% and 105ah.
Just what it should.
I have always powered the batt off at the end of the day and had never seen this issue........

Guess I'll leave it on..........

Thanks to all....
Old 01-01-2023, 04:21 PM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmonahan View Post
This must be the issue I am having with my Renogy. The roypow s51105p automatically shuts off after 8 hours. When I power the battery back on the Renogy sometimes shows 0% and 0 ah.
Are you able to narrow it down to when/if it’s shut down for longer periods? I have not experienced this problem since I never turn my battery off so I don’t know exactly how long the Renogy will keep its memory for.

Does anyone else know if the RoyPow can be prevented from shutting off, or what’s the minimum current draw to prevent it from shutting off? If it cannot be prevented from shutting off then it’s a major oversight of the designers. There are many reasons why you would want standby power to be present, even in a cart, one being the situation above.

Cheers
Pat.
Old 01-01-2023, 04:39 PM   #9
bmmonahan
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I asked roypow tech suppport about this and here is their response -

Thank you for reaching out to us. A s51105p battery turns off automatically after 8 hours without use, for purposes of battery self-protection and safety. It's a completely normal phenomenon.

I will take note and see if there is a correlation to length of shutdown and Renogy showing 0%.
bmmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 04:52 PM   #10
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmmonahan View Post
here is their response -

Thank you for reaching out to us. A s51105p battery turns off automatically after 8 hours without use, for purposes of battery self-protection and safety. It's a completely normal phenomenon.

It’s not a completely normal phenomenon, it’s a feature they’ve built in to their battery. And a completely unnecessary one if you ask me, one that can/will cause issues for end users. If I want my battery off, I’ll turn it off. I certainly don’t want my battery deciding that it should be off.

But all that is of little consequence to you. Try and monitor the length of time and maybe turn the back on before this time expires. But that is very inconvenient. A backup battery solution can be added but that’s complicating things. If you want to go this route let me know.

Cheers
Pat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car