lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2022, 12:58 PM   #11
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Jetting stock carb on vanguard 18 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
And how is this valve lift measurement to be taken? You'll need a dial indicator for that, or some other specialized tool, if you have one. Duration is subjective unless you can compare one to another side by side. Not a sure thing. The only way to know "for sure" is to take the side cover off.

But before you go and do that, just do some basic testing and inspection first. Do a compression test. Do a leakdown test. Check the valve lash. Those are the basics of the mechanicals of the engine. If those check out then you may not have to "tear into" the engine yet.

It sounds like the rpm is getting "held back" so I'm feeling like the engine governor is doing that. However, from the photo you posted in your other thread, it clearly shows no mechanism on the governor shaft. That leads me back to the transaxle governor.

Can you show some good, well lit photos of your transaxle governor and an overview of how the cable is run. Try to take some good photos from the top view at a little bit of a distance so we can trace the cable.

BTW not sure why you have two threads on this. Might be easier to just keep one thread active.

Transaxle governor is removed and throttle is direct from the pedal to the carb. I have verified that the carb is opening all the way.

Here is a video of me revving it up to max rpm. This is verified that the butterfly is open all the way.

https://youtube.com/shorts/43TYJ971J84?feature=share
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6194[1].jpg (158.5 KB, 0 views)
jayreynoldsii5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2022, 05:29 PM   #12
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

So I just pulled a valve cover to check the push rods good news they are steel. Bad news the rockers are loose as hell. Anyone got I for on how to torque them properly?
Old 11-29-2022, 06:22 PM   #13
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I think the spec is .004-.007. I set the lash in my 18 hp Vanguard Cub Cadet @ .005 on both valves. Note if they are very loose you are giving up valve lift for sure. A BIG question might be why they are so loose ?
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:28 PM   #14
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I am assuming the guy who did the work didn’t know what he was doing. From what I have seen I have to set last at 1/4” past TDC too.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:35 PM   #15
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

That is the spec
Old 11-29-2022, 08:23 PM   #16
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I was think the bolts in the center like in a car with non adjustable rockers my bad.
Old 11-29-2022, 08:55 PM   #17
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I am lost. Was the valve lash right or not ? The rocker stands should not be loose.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:59 PM   #18
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The lash is bad I was saying my thought process when asking about torque spec was that of not adjustable automotive type not adjustable ones. I have to grab a .005 shim from work I done have any here and then set lash. I have also been talking to a guy from CPP and if the lash don’t fix my issue than he suggest checking the advance timing keyway on the flywheel. Their techs have seen people install those wrong frequently and then I may want to check rhe cam and crank timing from there. One step at a time.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:07 PM   #19
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

As I was saying before, check the mechanicals. Compression, valves, timing. That engine in "stock" form in good operating condition should rev to 5000 rpm with no issues and no adjustments to the carb. With a cam and rev kit it should rev very fast.

That rev video.....it's revving really really slow. I'm guessing the cam is not timed properly, as well as the valve lash as you found is off. That could very well be the issue.

Check your pushrods and make sure they are true. Take them out and roll them on a perfectly flat surface, make sure they aren't wobbly. They should roll freely across the table without stopping.

Inspect your valvesprings, make sure they are correct. If they are stock, you should be using a shim.

Inspect your rocker arms for damage. If the valve lash was loose they could have seen some damage. If they are older they could be worn.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:41 PM   #20
jayreynoldsii5
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The valve springs are shimmed as they should be. I do plan on checking the push rods as well as everything else. Thanks for the help guys. I will let you know what I find as I go along.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!