lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-04-2021, 11:52 AM   #11
Eric H.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: solar panels?

I just got done building a solar roof for my 09 Precedent. I have 4x 100w Renogy 12v panels in series. I made an aluminum frame out of 1/8" wall 1" x 2" aluminum tube that mounted to the same supports as the 80" doubletake roof I took off. It's the same width as before with about 4" longer at both ends. I used a Victron 100/20 MPPT controller. The panels are run in series to get the 48v needed so that limits me to 8-9a charging at high noon during summer months. I'm running BigBattery.com 96ah BDGR lithium batteries. The whole roof weighs 80# now but I took 300# out with the lithium upgrade. In October 2:00 pm I saw 6a and still 2a charging at 5:30 pm. I was just looking to add some supplemental charging to extend daytime use around campsites. The Victron Bluetooth link and app let you see everything on your phone as well as set all charging parameters like max charge voltage of 50.4v for the BigBattery lithiums.
Eric H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-05-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
dreday76
Not Yet Wild

Hey Eric, could you possibly post a few pictures of your set up please? 400 watts seems pretty good for the average casual user. Yeah I found removing the oem roof and replacing it with the perfect size panels is the most solid and aesthetically pleasing. Anyway, I look forward to some pictures! thanks!
dreday76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:50 AM   #13
Eric H.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreday76 View Post
Hey Eric, could you possibly post a few pictures of your set up please? 400 watts seems pretty good for the average casual user. Yeah I found removing the oem roof and replacing it with the perfect size panels is the most solid and aesthetically pleasing. Anyway, I look forward to some pictures! thanks!
I need to take more pictures but here is a few. I made the frame at work and the panels fit end to end within the frame with the center tube for support as well as making the spacing perfect to take the place of the Doubletake roof frame. I need to make a brace for between the windshield posts to eliminate a little flex due to adding 50-60 lbs. to the roof. The picture was taken before I cleaned up the wiring and ran the cables to the controller. I just pushed it out to see the short circuit output while the sun was still out. With the lithium batteries, there's plenty of room in the battery compartment for the controller but I don't have a pic of that yet. There is a couple pics of the battery compartment after the lithium install in this same folder, under BigBattery BDGR install.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210925_160709_resized.jpg (129.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210925_172550_resized.jpg (215.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210930_145055_resized.jpg (344.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20210930_145132_resized.jpg (224.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:38 PM   #14
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

So I know this is an old thread but I did this a few months ago and wanted to share my results. I bought a 380w "36v nominal" ( panel that actually charges my current 36v pack with about 7amps in late October when I did the testing so im optimistic that when the sun is at a much better angle and closer in the summer months it will work even better. my solar panel is 44" py 72" and my cart didnt have a roof so Iuse the single panel AS the roof and it only weighs somewhere around 35lbs....
Iam using a cheap mppt boost charger which will also work when I finish swapping im the 48v lifepo4 pack im building. this is the charger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23210605047...Bk9SR_D7ttSuYQ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230102_204135.jpg (275.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230102_204210.jpg (197.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20230102_204242.jpg (249.1 KB, 0 views)
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:06 AM   #15
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Great idea to replace the roof with a solar panel, as opposed to just mounting one on top of an existing roof.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:30 AM   #16
Eric H.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
So I know this is an old thread but I did this a few months ago and wanted to share my results. I bought a 380w "36v nominal" ( panel that actually charges my current 36v pack with about 7amps in late October when I did the testing so im optimistic that when the sun is at a much better angle and closer in the summer months it will work even better. my solar panel is 44" py 72" and my cart didnt have a roof so Iuse the single panel AS the roof and it only weighs somewhere around 35lbs....
Iam using a cheap mppt boost charger which will also work when I finish swapping im the 48v lifepo4 pack im building. this is the charger.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23210605047...Bk9SR_D7ttSuYQ
That looks like a clean install and nice cart too. You might want to think about a way to reinforce the solar panel frame though. They're only crimped together and the roof is subjected to a lot of flex since the uprights aren't tied together at all. The solar panel frame is the only thing tying them together and will take some abuse.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:39 AM   #17
augiedoggy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
That looks like a clean install and nice cart too. You might want to think about a way to reinforce the solar panel frame though. They're only crimped together and the roof is subjected to a lot of flex since the uprights aren't tied together at all. The solar panel frame is the only thing tying them together and will take some abuse.
Good advice, thanks ill look into something to strengthen it. the uprights are tied together on each side to the same piece of frame but there isnt anything to directly tie the left and right sides or to prevent twisting. That said this solar panel has framing thats pretty beefy compared to the other solar panels I have laying around.
I did make a mistake earlier on the wattage of my panel, it's only 355w
I picked this cart up in october for $700 with bad batteries and a bad solenoid. its actually a one owner G8 with a later body.. its was stored inside so pretty clean.
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 11:12 AM   #18
Eric H.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Good advice, thanks ill look into something to strengthen it. the uprights are tied together on each side to the same piece of frame but there isnt anything to directly tie the left and right sides or to prevent twisting. That said this solar panel has framing thats pretty beefy compared to the other solar panels I have laying around.

I picked this cart up in october for $700 with bad batteries and a bad solenoid. its actually a one owner G8 with a later body.. its was stored inside so pretty clean.
I couldn't see the frame on the sides so that should help for sure. Mine is much heavier but even with the roof frame being welded rectangular tube, it still flexes quite a bit.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:08 AM   #19
SuadAnny
Not Yet Wild

Your setup is great! Thanks for sharing it. I've never seen one, except for the solar panels dublin setups. Keep it going man.
SuadAnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 11:35 AM   #20
Eric H.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuadAnny View Post
Your setup is great! Thanks for sharing it. I've never seen one, except for the solar panels dublin setups. Keep it going man.
Thanks, and it's still going strong. No problems with the Renogy panels or frame after over two years. There's even been a few off road runs after one too many adult beverages that shake the heck out of the roof lol.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!