lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2023, 10:28 AM   #1
derelicte
Gone Wild

Default Rear axle oil

Is there a drain screw for the rear axle oil? I see a bigger bolt on the driver's side and a smaller one on the passenger side but neither are at the lowest point on the diff.

Or do you just suck it out the fill bolt?

Thanks!
derelicte is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2023, 08:27 PM   #2
Reuter5
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Rear axle oil

On my 99 DS it was the lower nut on the drivers side. I believe it was the bigger one. I noticed one that was not like the others so I took that 50/50 chance. Sure enough that was the one.
Reuter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:44 AM   #3
derelicte
Gone Wild

Here is a picture where I think the fill and drain plugs are located. Both of these are on the driver's side. Is this correct?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear axle plugs.jpg (170.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-22-2023, 03:23 PM   #4
derelicte
Gone Wild

I just finished changing the axle oil for the first time so I can sort of answer my own question. I used the bolts labeled in my picture above. The drain bolt has a magnet on it.

The manual points to a fitting on the front of the axle for filling. I took a picture of this fitting. The part with the mark on it appears to be a cap that spins freely but I couldn't get it off. It looks like it could be pinched at the bottom to prevent it from being removed? I don't know.

The manual calls for 0.3L of oil and that was about what I took out. However when I filled it I was expecting the oil to run out the fill hole at around 0.3L, but it didn't. The manual says something like if oil comes out of the hole it is ok. However if you fill it from the hole shown in the manual and oil comes out of that hole, the diff would be pretty much full and have way more than 0.3L of oil.

I took the wheel off but I'd bet you could do it with the wheel on. It would definitely be easier with it off though.

I probably ended up with about 0.4L in there when I stopped. Oops.

Googling seems to indicate this isn't a problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230122_194701593.jpg (196.0 KB, 0 views)

Tags
axle, drain, oil
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon