lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2023, 05:27 PM   #2121
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Vc 460

Well all the wires, throttle linkage, torque limiter, hoses and S/G itself are removed and the new cold oil drained from the crankcase. Only the exhaust system ,belts along with the engine mount bolts are yet to do to remove the engine. Next week I guess. With the side cover studded opening her up should be easy.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2023, 08:35 PM   #2122
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

A couple of observations before the tear down. This engine really eliminated 2 of the area not so great about clones. 1) They vibrate quite a bit. I was afraid with the xtra heavy Bullfrog connecting rod this would be worse than ever. Remarkably the vibration was greatly reduce. Now was this that the heavy connecting rod somehow balanced this out with the rod being longer and using the 64 mm crankshaft thereby reducing the rod angle and side thrust ? OR is it due the the very light billet aluminum flywheel not bouncing the whole engine around like the heavier cast iron unit ? 2) This engine is incredible quiet. Is this due to really being shimmed on all 3 shafts for minimal end play. OR is it due to the compression release not working and not making some of the clone mechanical noise. Hopefully the tear down will show some answers give some direction in making a more civil clone
Old 03-11-2023, 05:36 PM   #2123
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I missed this. I can tell you with the stock G9 when the CDI thing goes bad it can backfire out the carb when hot starting. It often makes the belt squeak and it stops the starter.

I don't have vibration issue with mine but it is on the stock rubber mounts. I did weld up a heavier link for the torque cable, actually I made a stud with a rubber washer/bumper that hits when the engine pulls back. It doesn't really make that clinking noise either could be the shaft rockers got rid of that. I think I might hear the cam knock at really slow idle but not sure. I wish I would have shimmed it, it has a ton of endplay. I do know the high ratio rockers made the comp release work better than it did. When I put the cam in the comp release is a different design but it worked same as old cam. I could get mine out but it would be a cold ride.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 06:18 PM   #2124
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

They were some Ray bundled up test rides. The air might be warm here and there BUT the Bay with the cold nights is still VERY cold and the wind coming across it really chills you to the bone when out driving a cart @ 25 mph or so.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:42 AM   #2125
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

I had hoped to finish pulling the engine out of Vicki today. However we are under gale warnings and 50 + mph wind gusts until tomorrow night. Its howling out there.
Old 03-15-2023, 08:51 AM   #2126
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Made it thru the nite. Powered flickered 4 times but stayed running. Still heavy winds gust until this evening.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:37 PM   #2127
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Winds have abated Maybe I can get back to Vicki's engine tomorrow ?
Old 03-16-2023, 01:43 PM   #2128
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Pulled the engine and opened it up. Really didn't see anything unusual. Lifters and cam looked clean. Shimming the cam does move it away from the comp release. So I used the cam from the long rod and prelubed everything with Porsche cam grease. Adjusted the valve lash. It is still pretty tough to pull it over with the pull starter. Not back in the cart had enough for today. Stay tuned ?
Old 03-16-2023, 04:24 PM   #2129
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Cabin fever so the engine is back in the cart with the mounts and exhaust system,drive belt installed and crankcase filled. Left to do is the S/G,fuel and throttle systems with all the wiring. Cardiologist tomorrow may or may not get more done. Good news on the health front is my kidney function has improved and nothing else got any worse
Old 03-19-2023, 04:56 PM   #2130
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Fuel and throttle systems redone. Just the S/G and wiring to go.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps