lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-17-2024, 10:35 AM   #1
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Need Tips on Installing Predator 460 in Workhorse ST350

The compression on my ST350 came out at 35 psi, so it looks like a Predator is in my future. I wonder if people could give me some tips. My cart is a 2000 with a factory lift.

Vegas Carts recommended a V-twin Predator. No way. I live on a farm, and I will never be able to break 20 mph because of the terrain. I want a 460.

Their site says their cradle that fits the 460 is not recommended for lifted carts. Does anyone here know why? Seems like the extra room should make it easier to use.

They offer two clutches. One is a CV-Tech 06 clutch. The other is a 780 primary clutch with a pulley built in. The third option is an adaptor that would let me use my old clutch, which is fine. The adaptor is sold out.

Is there any reason I should get one clutch over the other? Is there anyone else who sells adaptors? The clutches cost about $280, and they don't seem to be needed.
Futility Vehicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2024, 11:05 AM   #2
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: Need Tips on Installing Predator 460 in Workhorse ST350

I few notes here. I have a Yamaha g14 that is lifted and has a VC 460 engine in it. Note 1 I would not use the Predator engine. It really doesn't at this time have any real aftermarket support or share parts with the other clones. The crankshaft is not supported by ball bearings as the other clones use. I would use the Duromax 440 cc unit. It has the best of the clone blocks, a connecting rod with shell bearings and uses automotive type valve keepers .Super well supported on the aftermarket. Note 2 For the clutch I would use the 780 with the built in pulley to use your stock S/G. The CVtech is too wide to use any kind of extra pulley. Also the 780 is very tuneable with great support. Carts plus plus sells the adapter BUT it is $85. With the adapter you must cut the crank to length and tap the clutch mount hole further in. Once you have done this you can't go to one of the 1" shaft clutches unless you change out the crankshaft. P.S. The Duromax 440 cc recoil start engine is $385 delivered from Amazon at this moment.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:18 AM   #3
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It looks like I should go with the factory clutch, because otherwise, using the factory alternator will be difficult.

I want to have good charging and keep the pedal start.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:22 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Using the VC 780 with the built in pulley would also allow the use of the stock S/G. One other note if your engine is worn what kind of shape is your stock clutch in ? P.S. I see the clutch adapters are for sale on Amazon for $19 BUT on this whole engine swap thing Vegascarts doesn't offer the S/G mounting bracket at this time. That makes things more complicated.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:43 AM   #5
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for your post. I didn't see it before my last reply.

I don't know much about engines or vehicles, but I am otherwise handy and have all sorts of tools, so I'm not afraid to cut a crank and tap it. I suppose I could make my own adaptor, for that matter.

The 780 clutch sounds like the best option if I chicken out.

You are wrong about the price of the Duromax. It's even better than you said. They have a 15% coupon. For that price, I might be willing to take a chance on the $48 3-year insurance. Thanks for saving me some loot.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:47 AM   #6
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I am trying to figure out how to keep the pedal start. I thought I had read that it was easy with a clone, but after reading what you said about the bracket, I looked and saw that the VC cradle doesn't have any means of mounting the starter.

The motor you recommended is pull-start, so I would have to find a way to use the stock starter/alternator.

It looks like it's held on by 4 bolts. Surely I should be able to fabricate a bracket.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:32 PM   #7
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

You can look at Vegascarts installation guide for the VC460 in your cart in the archived section. You can get an idea on what is involved on making a bracket.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:00 PM   #8
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I can't find a link to the archives.

Oops. Got it. Thought you were talking about something else.
Old 03-17-2024, 01:12 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Before you do anything check the valve lash on your motor. Should be set to 004.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 02:13 PM   #10
Futility Vehicle
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I set it yesterday, but I must admit, I relied on a trick I found somewhere. Some guy said a quarter of a turn of the screw was 0.004", and it sounded reasonable, since screws are what people use to make tiny, precise movements. I bottomed out the screws and backed off 90 degrees. Think I should have used the feeler gauge?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Clone Engine Swaps