lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-21-2023, 01:51 AM   #1
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default smoke from spark plug hole on G1

I got my 1983 G1 running but it wasn't running smoothly. It seemed to surge a little at full throttle and sounded like it would conk out as I let up on the accelerator. The carburetor is new but I wanted to see if a slight adjustment of the fuel mixture would help. I have the back end jacked up so I can observe all the linkages as I press the accelerator pedal. . I did a slight adjustment on the carb with the pedal down at full throttle. I let up on the accelerator allowing the wheels to stop then pressed down again giving it gas. I'm guessing I flooded the engine because now the cart would not ignite. I removed the spark plug, which was new. The plug not only was black but there was smoke coming out of the hole! This I have never seen before?? I did mix a little oil in with the gas just as a precaution after replacing the oil pump lines. I figured too much oil was safer than no oil should the pump not prime. Would too much oil in the mix along with flooding the carb cause smoke to come out with the plug removed??? I was revving the engine pretty hard as I adjusted the carb. I hope I didn't damage anything.
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-21-2023, 06:31 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: smoke from spark plug hole on G1

"Smoke" could be from already burnt fuel, or from the gasoline being "misted" when the piston pulled fuel on the downstroke.

It's a distinction that should be made and caution is always in order. DO NOT look into or be close to the spark plug hole, when the spark plug is removed and you are turning the motor to see if you have spark.

Many years ago a young man in my area was working on a gas cart. As he was testing for spark, he was close to the motor. The piston was in the down stroke and the cylinder had a "charge" of gasoline in it. So, he hit the peddle, the gas shot out of the engine just as he was inhailing. His lungs were torched and he lived long enough to get to the hospital.

It's a sad, sad story but one that needs told. Gas motors can be dangerous. Electric carts have enough "juice" to kill a person under the wrong circumstances.

Just be careful in your work!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 04:37 PM   #3
SLYS FARM
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: smoke from spark plug hole on G1

oh no no no... I would not engage the engine with the plug out. I pulled the plug to see if it was flooded. I am new to the world of engines and I just never saw smoke/steam flowing out of the hole like that.
SLYS FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha