lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Golf Cart Racing
Golf Cart Racing Buggies Gone Wild Racing League

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
jjmckay
Not Yet Wild

Default which cart would be best for gsxr 1100 motor?

i'm completely new at this but acquired an 88 gsxr 1100 motorcycle that was used as a drag bike. seeing as how i used to race cars but have never been on a motorcycle in my life i thought i would try putting the motor in a golf cart. which i promptly got laughed at for so me being stubborn and all am planning on doing it anyway! so ummm hellllppp!!! i know im gonna need something a lil wider so it will be more stable. know im going to have to make some accomadations to fit the engine on it. im wondering as far as room which golf cart would be best? was looking at the ez go ones. any input would be awesome thank you!!!!!
jjmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
arcitech
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: which cart would be best for gsxr 1100 motor?

Take a look at the ones already posted on these forums. There are several 600cc installs that turned out O.K. and I've seen the youtube videos of a couple of 1000-1100cc carts. The biggest problem with fitting the big motor is that you will need a custom cradle to hold the engine and drop the mounting point so that the head/carbs don't hit the bottom of the seat when the suspension bottoms out. Most successful motorcycle engine installs appear to be on lifted carts that can give the needed height clearances for the engine.

Be careful, have fun and post some pictures!!
arcitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

A lot of questions are about installing a snowmobile, atv, motorcycle
engine in carts.
This section will try to give you some information about the pitfalls and
some requirements to do so.
BGW nor any of the contributers to this thread recomend these actions and the individual does so at their own risk.
You will need an engine that turns in the correct direction,CW or CCW.

If you want reverse you will need a cart that has forward and reverse in the trans axle
or a reversing means at the engine.

You will need a clutch that matches your crankshaft or an adapter of some kind.

Consideration for cooling is a must, as is clearance for the intake and exhaust(most two stroke engines have tuned exhausts and run very poorly if modified.

The cart will be fast and should have sound steering and suspension.

Method of starting is a large problem if the stock clutch can not be used.

Our sponsors offer big block kits that often cost less than a conversion ends up costing piecemeal.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
jjmckay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcitech View Post
Take a look at the ones already posted on these forums. There are several 600cc installs that turned out O.K. and I've seen the youtube videos of a couple of 1000-1100cc carts. The biggest problem with fitting the big motor is that you will need a custom cradle to hold the engine and drop the mounting point so that the head/carbs don't hit the bottom of the seat when the suspension bottoms out. Most successful motorcycle engine installs appear to be on lifted carts that can give the needed height clearances for the engine.

Be careful, have fun and post some pictures!!

yeah have seen them too. i know that the owner of the bike before me modified it and tried to lessen the overall size of the motor without sacrificing horsepower. right now as it sit in the bike the whole thing is maybe a lil taller than a kitchen chair but it is kinda long. i can weld and do frame work and a lift kit sounds like the way to go. will have to look some more and i promise pics :D
Old 07-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
jjmckay
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
A lot of questions are about installing a snowmobile, atv, motorcycle
engine in carts.
This section will try to give you some information about the pitfalls and
some requirements to do so.
BGW nor any of the contributers to this thread recomend these actions and the individual does so at their own risk.
You will need an engine that turns in the correct direction,CW or CCW.

If you want reverse you will need a cart that has forward and reverse in the trans axle
or a reversing means at the engine.

You will need a clutch that matches your crankshaft or an adapter of some kind.

Consideration for cooling is a must, as is clearance for the intake and exhaust(most two stroke engines have tuned exhausts and run very poorly if modified.

The cart will be fast and should have sound steering and suspension.

Method of starting is a large problem if the stock clutch can not be used.

Our sponsors offer big block kits that often cost less than a conversion ends up costing piecemeal.
hadnt thought of the cooling yet ur right thats a necessity. reverse not so much. will start looking at the clutch issue too. as far as the cost and time goes.... it will keep me occupied and busy and right now thats worth alot lol
Old 11-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Kenneth S
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I have been away from the bgw website for awhile, but I'm back, and I'm starting a ClubCar golf cart build with a 94 Honda CBR600F4 water cooled engine for power, it should be fun.

P.S. It will also be used to tow my friends 1978 Corvette Nostalgia Nitro FunnyCar when it's finished. (see my signature below)
Kenneth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
classycarts
Gone Wild

Hey Kenneth??? That body is just like the one that one my trailer right now!!!! Better go check and make sure it's still there!!!!

And Domm's, your right about two stroke engines have tuned exhausts and run very poorly if modified. Found that out the hard way!!!

Good luck JJ.
classycarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
Kenneth S
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by classycarts View Post
Hey Kenneth??? That body is just like the one that one my trailer right now!!!! Better go check and make sure it's still there!!!!

It's still there, locked in a trailer, behind a fenced in yard with a locked gate, 3 very big guard dogs, and a 75 year old man who will shoot you with one of his many guns if you even think about trying to step foot on his property.

On another note my golf cart will be built with a chrome molly tube frame, front suspension from a 2008 Polaris atv (It has nice tubular A-arms, coilover shocks, disk brakes, and aluminum spindles) the rear suspension will be the 94 Honda CBR600F4 swing arm, with a coil over gas charged mono-shock. The only things that will be OEM golf cart is the ClubCar DS body, and the ClubCar rack-n-pinion steering.
P.S. I also got a turbocharger for it on stand by if nessesary.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
groundpounder
Gone Wild

Yamaha

groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Kenneth S
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I never had seen any quarter mile times from that cart, did they ever try it?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Golf Cart Racing