lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #1
ATrain
Gone Wild

Default ICON Owner's Master Thread (until more are created)

I want to start with - Icon's are great carts and you shouldn't be afraid of getting one.

There's not a lot of ICON golf cart content on this forum, so I want to start discussing what I'm finding with my two ICON's, an i60L and an i40L.

I've managed to get the programming software and reverse engineered the programming cable, which I believe can be made at home very easily and started tuning mine.

I ordered parts to make my own cable and they arrive this week, so I'm going to verify against the manufacturer's cable. The components listed below are my first attempt, and are not verified as working yet. I'm 95% confident I can remake with more expensive components, but as a software engineer, I'm sort of doing my own thing.

And my brother-in-law is an electrical engineer with a specialty in electric motor controllers for EV's and he's helping me understand it better.

My parents and their friends all have ICON's in Florida and love them. They've had them for at least a year and no issues.

I'm not going to publicly disseminate the software/cable right now as I'm still gathering as much information as I can and I've managed to make a good relationship with Icon that affords me some insider info that I don't want to jeopardize.

I do believe that the more enthusiasts get involved and access to information, the more Icon golf carts we will see on the streets.

I check this forum periodically, but I'm slow at responding...so don't fret if you have an Icon and have a question.
ATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Default Re: ICON Owner's Master Thread (until more are created)

Hey ATrain welcome to the Icon subforum...Spriddle created it just this am.

It is good to have an Icon enthusiast with a tweaking tinkering heart
about him...

Please do share more on your current experiences with your I40L and I60L
carts...

How you use them speeds you get etc..

Thanks ATrain
CartsRFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Hey ATrain welcome to the Icon subforum...Spriddle created it just this am.

It is good to have an Icon enthusiast with a tweaking tinkering heart
about him...

Please do share more on your current experiences with your I40L and I60L
carts...

How you use them speeds you get etc..

Thanks ATrain
In my state (CA) the max speed is 25mph, but it appears to be directly proportional to the RPM's.

My carts both came set at 5000 RPM's and I think that is directly proportional to MPH. So just divide by 200. I turned both up to 6000 RPM's (the stated max) and I can hit 30mph on flat roads, and 31 downhill.

There is a noticeable accelerator power feel too that I like.

I say the "stated max" because the software has a config file that just has hardcoded max/mins that get input. There's most likely nothing from stopping me from exceeding the RPM max except the physical capabilities of the motor.

I also turned up the torque at a higher RPM tier, so going up-hill has better performance.

I am experimenting with the regen braking. I think it can be turned up more to (1) extend range and (2) save brakes. Regen braking uses the motor to slow the cart, and it generates power doing that which extends your range. It also generates heat, so you don't want it too high.

These carts also have temperature protections and limits, so even if you crank a bunch of settings too high, it should protect itself from damage. Most likely with a "limp mode". I have yet to hit this and don't plan on trying.

So I want to find the "sweet spot" for regen braking and other things.

What we need to find out - What are the actual safe RPM limits and the safe operating temperature levels for the motor?
Old 06-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #4
ATrain
Gone Wild

An update...there's no simple way around it. If you want your own programming cable, you need http://www.can232.com/?page_id=16 + the other stuff.

Obviously you'll need access to the software. The data cable though can be purchased/made from off the shelf crap, but it costs ~$140-160'ish all-in for the stupid cable.

It's because the developers who wrote the software were lazy and just used a specific RS232 adapter that just "works" without drivers...I suspect they did this because most dealers have no clue how computers work, but that means it's a specific, expensive part you need.
Old 06-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
ATrain
Gone Wild

Don't ask me how I know this, but the top speed of these carts is 50mph @ 10,000 RPMs.

It could theoretically go faster, but it doesn't seem to have a problem with 10k RPMs.

I highly recommend against that because you'll get speed wobbles and things...the wheels/frame are not made to go that fast.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #6
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Atrain 50mph ...that is wild and all that with stock set up?
What kind of fancy dancy shenanigans got this for whoever--you maybe?
Old 06-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
CartsRFun
Gone Wild

Use a parachute to slow you down

Sorry guy I just had to kid around
Old 06-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
ATrain
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartsRFun View Post
Atrain 50mph ...that is wild and all that with stock set up?
What kind of fancy dancy shenanigans got this for whoever--you maybe?
So I haven't actually driven it at that, but I heard someone who did jacked up, but it theoretically checks out.

31mph is my current max, and the controller is capable of 2 speed modes based on a switch, so I'm considering wiring up a switch to toggle between 25mph and 35mph. The switch would actually be controlled by an extra key...similar to a valet key. This way I could turbo when I drive, and turtle when friends drive.

They're setup at 200:1 RPM:MPH. So 5000 RPM = 25 MPH.

The motor come stock (in my state) at 5000 RPM's, so it's capped at 25mph. The software "max" is set at 6000 RPM's, but if you edit a text file and change the max to 10,000, you can push that to the controller and it'll do it...seemingly fine. That's 50mph.

Can it go more than 10k RPM/50mph? Possibly? I don't want to try it and risk the motor.
Old 06-19-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
ATrain
Gone Wild

Smile Re: ICON Owner's Master Thread (until more are created)

Wiring your own accessories at 12v key-switched:

I, like most people, want to wire up my own speakers, backup camera, underbody lighting, winch, whatever you can think of, and they all usually take 12v, but the carts are 48v.

You need (not really) a DC to DC converter to drop 48v to 12v. You do not want to connect to a couple random batteries in series on the pack.

If you do this, your items will always be powered if you turn the key off and could drain your battery, but more importantly, it causes an uneven drain on the batteries because it puts extra stress on the pair (6v+6v) compared to the rest of the pack.

Luckily! There's already a DC to DC that outputs 12v AND on my cart, there's at least 1 extra fuse slot that's unused. I say at least because I just started looking and it's kind of hard to see.

This black box under your seat is the 48v DC to 12v DC.

Rear 12v Hookup:

Directly at the source (back), you can connect if needed. I prefer towards the front where the fuse box already is...but it depends on what you're wiring up. I'll probably wire an audio amp right at the source.

The underside of it has an "umbilical" of wires that come out of it. The Red/Black is your 12v out. In my picture here, I disconnected them to test the voltage. The female end (top in pic) is the output (line) and the male end (load) with the longer plastic clip thing is what goes off to the front of the cart toward the fuse block and your accessories.

Front 12v hookup:

Under the cup holders/screen you can access a little fuse block. The whole thing just pops off. The way I removed it was grabbing the cup holders in the picture and pulling towards the rear of the cart.

Under that, you'll see what I think is a brake fluid reservoir and a (covered) fuse panel.

In my cart, the far left (driver's) side of the fuse block had a fuse in it, but underneath it doesn't appear to be wired to anything. I removed the fuse and shoved my multimeter into it to test it.

This is where you'll get your red (+) 12v from. There is a thicker red wire that connects to the fuse block underneath you can splice into or you can just use the empty fuse slot.

For the black (-), from my examination the black that comes right off the DC/DC happens to go into the back of the USB ports. Circled in red below:

It's a female spade connector so it should be easy to connect to.

More posts to come!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #10
capitalst
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for playing around with this and finding a great solution to making these carts go a bit faster. I would like to bump up the speed closer to 35 mph. I think anything past that is pushing the safety issue. Good part is I have the DOT approved Steel belt tires more meant for higher speed vs standard tires. At 30 mph right now it is pretty stable vs the stock ones.

How do I go about getting the software to change the RPM's on the controller?
capitalst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
i40, i40l, i60l, icon, iconev
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Icon