lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 PM   #41
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: intermittent dead cylinder issue- vanguard 23hp

just take the big nut off the crankshaft and pull the flywheel off and check it out ...
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-01-2014, 10:56 PM   #42
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

pulled the flywheel and the key was/is still there. although when they flywheel came loose a spring was found on the inside of the flywheel. not sure where it came from?!
wuntunearlybko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:21 PM   #43
CART-ZILLA
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

HHHHmmm...shouldn't be any springs around there..
CART-ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #44
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

after looking back i think it is a spring left over from removing the gov.

jason
Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #45
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

ok after doing LOTS of reading and talkin to other guys with these newer vanguards it looks like the issue now is my carb. it is the POS EPA regulated carb that takes some work to get tuned. i found a decent deal on an older style carb thats actually made for the 35HP vanguards and is a direct bolt on.

here is the actual thread here on BGW talking about the carb issues and possible solutions, including the 35HP carb. only thing i need to do is massage the intake elbow to allow the butterflies to open properly.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...uard-23-a.html

thanks for all the help guys, i never knew a brand new motor could have such issues.

jason
Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #46
dropzone
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Before you check and tune or replace the carb. Pull the coils and clean them also clean the magnet on the flywheel. You will only need to use sand paper and sand the metal parts on the coils that point to the flywheel and the magnet. Remove any rust and grime. What might look like good spark might not be hot enough. Dirty/rusted coils and flywheel will cause the problem your having. Rust isn't unusual on coils and flywheel magnet on motors that have set unused for a while. If a coil isn't firing hot enough it will cause a cylinder to load with gas and backfire threw the exhaust. The un-burnt fuel is pushed out in to the muffler and when the good cylinder fires it exhaust the hot burnt fuel igniting the un-burnt fuel in the muffler causing a back fire. Another thing even if a plug looks good doesn't mean it is. A easy way to find out if a plug is bad is swap it to a known good cylinder if that cylinder misfires then you know its the plug.
dropzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #47
wuntunearlybko
Not Yet Wild

thanks dropzone but the issue was valve lash. they were all set way too tight. i have them all at .006" and she runs good now. i bought a different carb so that i could tune it and have some adjustability. i JUST got it back together and hope to tune her tonight!

also i got rid of the stock champion plugs and replaced them with some NGK's. we will see how much better it runs. i want this thing to run like a scalded dog

jason
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!