lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
MxChris
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default My 82 EZ GO "best bang for the buck" refurb progress

This cart is all about the most bang for the buck and for me to learn the ropes about carts. This will be a little summer project for me and the kids.

I anticipate selling this cart a little while after it's done to buy a newer model and do it all over again, or this may just be kept for the kids to use. If I decide to keep it I will do a plum quick bandit motor upgrade for it.

I picked up the one I'm fixing about a year ago and just have not had time to work on it, in the meantime it's been running around the neighborhood and the kids have had a blast with it. Long story short I had surgery, it sat too long unused and the weak batteries died for good. Recently decided to fix it up and bought some new Trojans. Bought a couple other carts, the one strictly for parts (on it's side) was nearly free and the other (blue) cart was $200. This is what my garage looked like for about 6 months (drove my wife nuts lol), sold a couple last week:

This is what I'm starting with, paid $200 for the cart running (weak batteries) with a really nice charger:

Stripped all the parts that were worth keeping from the parts cart and saved a ton in the process. I was able to get a lot of trim pieces I was missing. I will need to buy some fender caps still. Sold the blue cart and the parts cart together for a profit. Now that I'm motivated time to order some batteries:

My paint idea is Plasti-Dip Anthracite metallic grey on the body and bed liner on the brush guard/metal trim.

Bed liner will be applied to the exposed frame, chrome brush guard, all the metal on the seat posts and roof supports. Basically all black and grey. I will paint the roof plastic with bed liner as well I think.

I will fab up a rear seat on the cheap out of a twin bed frame, I will look around at Goodwill etc. this week.

That's the plan at least....
MxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
MxChris
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: My 82 EZ GO "best bang for the buck" refurb progress

Today a couple of my orders came in, Plasti-Dip Anthracite wheel kit with gloss and an extra can of paint, really cheap way to go at under $60:

Went to Home depot and picked up some high build primer $6 and bed liner $7, I'm sure I'll need more but I'll just go get what I need when I need it:

Also got my State of Charge gauge. I painted some trim pieces with adhesion promoter and 2 rounds of black semi-gloss Seat backs and dash tray:

Also painted the cup holder the same way then used a razor knife to carefully make room for and dry fit the radio. Also installed the State of Charge gauge and 3 rocker switches. Wired up the gauge temporarily to make sure it works:

Keeping in theme with the goal of this cart the Alpine radio was $10 at Goodwill, picked it up a while back with this cart in mind! A 30 amp 36v-12v voltage reducer is on the way from forum user Sunoco to power everything, fuse block, LED lights and other odds & ends are in the mail as well.

Done for today
Old 08-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
MxChris
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Covered the seat backs with marine grade vinyl, bottom cushion is tomorrow.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
MxChris
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Rainy Florida afternoons are no conducive to painting projects....bleh.

Stripped and ready to prime:

Trim is all painted, matte black on the steering column, bed liner on the brush guard and rear storage area. I also used a bondo product to dye the black rubber trim back to deep black. Looks good and says it's lasts 6 months to a year we shall see:

Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
MxChris
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Had a break in the rain today so I laid on the first coat of primer:

As I type this waiting for the primer to dry it's started raining again...done for today I suppose.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
CROWN MAN
Gone Wild

Great job, keep the pictures coming.

The rain this year turned my redo from a 2 week job to a 6 week job.
CROWN MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
mazdawg(Mikey)
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looking good man, can't wait to see more
mazdawg(Mikey) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
MxChris
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I wanted to install the new hinges I picked up today. After struggling with the seat by myself for 15 minutes I got pissed and thought through how I could make this easy on myself. I came up with this, sidewalk chalk:

Even with someone holding the seat it invariably will move just enough so it's not where it needs to be. So I set the seat aside and rubbed in some chalk into the screw holes then scraped a little extra so it would be a small mound of chalk in each hole:

Gently got the seat into position resting the back edge on the back of the seat support rail, eyeballed it and slowly put the front edge down. I pressed firmly on the seat above each hinge to get some chalk on there then flipped it over and this is what I ended up with:

Just enough chalk to tell where I should pre-drill my holes to make starting the screws a million times easier. I got a screw started on each end then used a bungee cord to hold the cushion place while I got the rest of them in. I was lucky enough to get a good result on the first try, I can see this possibly taking a couple tries though.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Another trick would be to use paint or a Sharpie (gotta be fast with a Sharpie). Simply paint the hinge and you should easily make out the holes on the seat bottom.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
MxChris
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I stayed up late last night to get the paint finished.

Got 3 coats of primer on and sanded between each coat. Put on 3 coats of the anthracite plasti-dip, then 3 coats of the plasti-dip gloss. Looks very matte and not at all what I was looking for. The product demos I have seen with this color are deep grey/silver, definitely not a matte...almost black like it came out. It's not THAT big of a deal as this is really a cart for the kids but geez how disappointing to spray on a color and have it look 10 shades darker than it looked in the demos. I would have kept my chrome parts chrome if I knew it was going to be this dark and matte.

This is how it looks in the shade:

And in the sun:

I think I will buy another can of the gloss and paint. I will give the front a few more coats of each and hope it evens out the color.

Time for a beer in my favorite mug and to enjoy the rest of my Saturday, I'm whooped!

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO