lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
Angelene175
Not Yet Wild

Default 1992 Marathon-Needs use of choke each start up

Hello everyone! I am new here but have been creeping around for a few days reading some of the other threads. My husband and I have recently acquired a 1992 EZ-GO Marathon that we are fixing up and taking to a campground. As of yesterday, it had a hard time starting. You had to pull the choke multiple times while pumping the gas. We had someone come and tune it up, clean out the carb, clean the the hoses to the fuel pump, etc. It runs much better. However, it still will not start up without pulling the choke. Each time the engine completely goes off, you have to push the gas and give the choke a quick foward and back to get her to move. It isn't horrible...however, we have dumped a lot of money into parts for modification so I want it to run properly. The carb looks to be in good shape...the fuel pump could probably be replaced but I don't know if that is what is causing the problem and I don't want to dump more money into it if it won't help. My husband says this is just how all of the older EZ-GO carts run. Is this true? Or is there something still amiss if we have to use the choke each and every time we start to go?
Angelene175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1992 Marathon-Needs use of choke each start up

Just guessing by what you are saying, after cart is warmed up you should not have to choke it, sound like the carb needs cleaned may have missed something, did you put a new fuel filter on it? does it run good going down the road? may want to adjust the valves also here is a link for the valves, Good Luck have fun
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...djustment.html
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Angelene175
Not Yet Wild

No, every time I let the engine stop I have to choke it again to go. Just very slightly...one pull out and back, and it goes. Some background on it...it has sat for a long time, with gas in the tank. Over a year. No new fuel filter...apparently it looked ok. Carb is clean. Yes, it runs good going down the road. My husband is INSISTING that ALL carts of this year and make run like this. Does anyone on here have this cart that can tell me if this is true or not?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
Angelene175
Not Yet Wild

Also I want to mention that it has been run very little since bringing it out of retirement so I don't know what ample warm up time is. We are still trying to run the old gas out of it.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are saying it has one year old gas in it, it's lucky to run at all! Dump that stuff out and put new fuel in it. I would use " no alcohol " gas, if you can get it. Next choice is premium gas. I know it's more expensive, but the alcohol really hurts the fuel systems in these carts. Once you have run new fuel for awhile, your cart should only need the choke for the first start of the day, unless it's really cold.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
racin161
Gone Wild

Gas is probably a good place to start and a new fuel filter. Is this a 2cycle engine? 3pg? Has the injector pump been removed? I would really be careful until these questions have been answered.

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #7
Angelene175
Not Yet Wild

We are going to take the old gas out and put in new, and a new fuel filter. It is a 2 cycle, I believe. Everything was removed and cleaned...it doesn't look like there is any mechanical deficiency anywhere at this point. My husband is adamant that it has been sitting for a LONG TIME and that after it has been run for a while this will resolve itself. He says similar carts he has on his golf course (he only has 3 left of this model, I believe) do the same thing. What do I need to be careful of?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelene175 View Post
We are going to take the old gas out and put in new, and a new fuel filter. It is a 2 cycle, I believe. Everything was removed and cleaned...it doesn't look like there is any mechanical deficiency anywhere at this point. My husband is adamant that it has been sitting for a LONG TIME and that after it has been run for a while this will resolve itself. He says similar carts he has on his golf course (he only has 3 left of this model, I believe) do the same thing. What do I need to be careful of?
If this is a 2 cycle engine, most of the folks here recommend to disconnect the oil injection pump system and mix your fuel and oil to a 1 to 128 ratio ( 1 oz oil to 1 gallon of fuel ) You'll get a lot more info from others who have done this!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

sorry about the valve adjustment link just kinda thought it was a 4 stroke
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
racin161
Gone Wild

OK POP I'll drink to that I'm sure you'll find a difference with fresh fuel but may have to clean the carb at least one more time all jets, totally taken apart all pilot holes opened up and blown out with compressed air then you should see a major change. Let us know

LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO