lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
bmcbrayer
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Engine Swap help

I have a 1993 Club Cart DS gas and I want to take stock engine out and replace with 20hp Briggs engine in...What do I have to replace to make this motor work?? PLEASE HELP Newbie at this golf cart stuff!!
bmcbrayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Engine Swap help

Welcome !

I have no idea, but just wanted to welcome you ..
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The issue with CC is some of them turn backwards. Most normal small engine turn counter clockwise from the PTO end. So for those you have to run them in reverse to go forward, and the reverse gear is lower that slows you down. Or you can try to mount the clutch on the flywheel end that has been done, might not be good on a built high rpm engine but seems to be ok on stock lawn engines. The other bad thing is the 1" belt on the CC, CPP just came out with a new belt different length for engine swaps. You may have to get the clutches machined to shift better (if using stock clutches).

The cheapest way is get a taper adapter from CPP that is about $50, to fit the stock clutch to the clone. Much of the rest you can fab up like the exhaust and airbox/etc. You may have to make some engine mount parts maybe but pretty simple. You might want to buy a header and put some muffler on it, just to get the flange and pipe that fits the clone. You will have to fab up throttle cable connection. Some run choke and some don't bother they lift the seat if they have to choke, depends on what weather you run it in. The clones don't charge much so some keep the generator, some put a car alternator on, some don't use lights and stuff and charge it once in a while if they need to.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

when i started my club car motor swap someone told me i should get an ezgo cart. at times i think i might have been inclined to agree considering the clock wise counter clockwise motor issues. i'm pretty deep into my swap. i think i could have bought a pretty nice used rhino for what i have in my cart. i'm running my clone motor backwards in the craddle with a chain turning a jackshaft that turns my clutch the right direction .
kevinandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Jackshaft will work too. I know a guy that bought a 2005 rhino that looks really nice last summer, 5K. Its the small engine though 450 or something. Another guy bought a 550 prowler with 80 miles on it for about 9K a few months ago, 2009 maybe. Hard to find a deal on those things he hunted all over for months. Some things are not nice, they tear up grass if you turn sharp, they are loud, they rev all the time even when you go slow, they are big and lean, I imagine they suck more gas. They do ride nice, or the prowler does, has 2wd/4wd/4wd lock and hi/low range.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #6
zwayitis
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The first thing to do is find out the rotation of your desired engine to see if it is the same direction as original. for CC it should be counter clock wise. In my opinion on my swap, the engine mount was the hardest thing to come up with. The rest using parts from original motor and some imagination its really not that hard.
zwayitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #7
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

[QUOTE=zwayitis;687389]The first thing to do is find out the rotation of your desired engine to see if it is the same direction as original. for CC it should be counter clock wise. In my opinion on my swap, the engine mount was the hardest thing to come up with. The rest using parts from original motor and some imagination its really not that hard.[/QUOTE

club car started clockwise setups mid 1997. everymotor out there is counter clockwise. you can find many horizontal mower motors that run a shaft off of the flywheel that would run your transaxel clockwise you just have to look for them because if they still run then they mostly are still being used to cut the grass. that's why i set my club car up with a jack shaft and a clone honda.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Or make a hub that bolts to the flywheel and has a 1" or taper shaft. B&S makes one but it has ears and does not look the strongest, dunno. Most lawn equipment like that has a solid hub bolted on. My mower has a spacer then a double pulley around 3-4" diameter solid steel. Then a driveshaft bolts to that and belts run off the pulley, with nothing off the PTO. The only issue is having weight out there flying around can be bad on the crank bearings, worse the higher rpm you go, but <4K it does not seem to be an issue. Long as your hub was centered and clutch was not out of weight and you kept it close to the flywheel it should be ok. The PTO has the same issue just not a flywheel on there too, but the flywheel is balanced.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
JcXtreme72
Gone Wild
Yamaha

On his first post he said it's a 93 so it is a counter clockwise setup. They switched to clock wise in 97. You need to make motor mounts and get the tapered adapter from CPP
JcXtreme72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
kevinandrew
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcXtreme72 View Post
On his first post he said it's a 93 so it is a counter clockwise setup. They switched to clock wise in 97. You need to make motor mounts and get the tapered adapter from CPP
any motor will do then.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!