lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
buggiebradshaw266
Not Yet Wild

Default 82' G1 low compression issue

Hello guys I'm a newbie. I have a 82' G1 has the gov. an oil pump bypassed. It has power spring, 12 in Hazard wheel set, Grant GT steering wheel and new leather seat skins.
My problem is the cart doesn't wind all the way out. When it is jacked up, you can push the pedal down about half way and it seem to be fine but when you go from there to full throttle it sputers and won't wind out unless you pull the choke out then it winds all the way out . When driving it with a load on, it won't wind out even with the choke pulled out. I had a tech at buggies unlimited tell me that a ring may be bad if the compression is below 110lbs.
Well I did a comp. test and it only hit 88-90lbs. It was just rebuilt last year and we bought it during the break in period.
Would this be possibly why it can't wind out with a load on it? Could it not have been broke in properly? Sorry explaination is so long guys.
buggiebradshaw266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 82' G1 low compression issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggiebradshaw266 View Post
Hello guys I'm a newbie. I have a 82' G1 has the gov. an oil pump bypassed. It has power spring, 12 in Hazard wheel set, Grant GT steering wheel and new leather seat skins.
My problem is the cart doesn't wind all the way out. When it is jacked up, you can push the pedal down about half way and it seem to be fine but when you go from there to full throttle it sputers and won't wind out unless you pull the choke out then it winds all the way out . When driving it with a load on, it won't wind out even with the choke pulled out. I had a tech at buggies unlimited tell me that a ring may be bad if the compression is below 110lbs.
Well I did a comp. test and it only hit 88-90lbs. It was just rebuilt last year and we bought it during the break in period.
Would this be possibly why it can't wind out with a load on it? Could it not have been broke in properly? Sorry explaination is so long guys.
1982's where a 1 year G1. Yamaha tried a low compression "cylinder/reeds/carb", Still your 88-90 lbs is on the very low end of waht you should have for compression. I think brand new was 100/110 and a minimum of 90 lbs. I think thats why it still runs at all. I would suggest taking the cylinder off and inspecting rings/piston and cylinder. A new head gasket (if all is ok) wouldn't cost much. When the guy "rebuilt" it was it just rings ? Did he replace the crank seals ? Look for oil/dirt around the crank (where the primary clutch is) if so, bad crank seal. The crank seal on the "flywheel side" is harder to detect without taking the fan shrouding and flywheel off, but you may feel or see dirt/oil on the fan shroud at the bottom of the engine. New rings (high ring compression) will shurely take out old crank seals in a hurry! Good luck and keep us posted. Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #3
buggiebradshaw266
Not Yet Wild

I have the purchase order for a cylinder head kit which I asume is piston/ring/reed/gasket kit. Also the crank seals were replaced at the same time. I checked the fuel pressure and it is good so I'm pretty sure the seals are good. I think he did a quick rebuild and slaped everything together. I will go ahead and tear it down and check the rings piston and cylinder. Thanks. Shawn
Old 05-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
buggiebradshaw266
Not Yet Wild

I took the head off today and it looks to be in good shape. I wiped down and cleaned everything and put it back together because it seemed like the head bolts wern't very tight when I took it apart. The comp. went up to 95lbs. So I took it for a spin and it ran alot better and gained more speed an RPM. When I got back I did a comp. test and it went back down to 75-80lbs. Should I replace the head, reed, gaskets and crank seals? What about the lower cyl. gasket or is that unlikely?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha