lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
cal333
Not Yet Wild

Smile Western Golf Cart Front Damage

I have a Western golf cart with the Chrysler Sebring front design - my kid hit a post with the cart and destroyed the front fiberglass - it is beyond repair - does anyone know of a used Western that is - #1 market priced - #2 has a decent front end - #3 in California or the upper Midwest? - it appears in looking at pictures of late model Western carts that the basics of how the front end fits on the frame all all the same - my cart is in Iowa but I do have a friend in Palm Springs who could check out a potential purchase - my cart has new batteries, new wheels and tires and is in darn near perfect condition so I would like to repair it if possible - THANKS in advance for any help and/or suggestions! - Chuck in Iowa
cal333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Western Golf Cart Front Damage

Hey Chuck, Welcome to BGW!
I'd have your friend look locally in Palm Springs as that's where they were built and the biggest population of the carts is there.
The whole front cowl is fiberglass and although possibly expensive, anything made of that can be fixed or rebuilt.
If you want to piece it back together, try a good boatyard or body shop that works on Corvettes.
I believe any model 100, 200 or 400 front cowl would work on your cart.
The unfortunate part is that anything with a good body is usually rebuilt and not parted out.
They are built on an ezgo chassis so you could always use an ezgo front cowl.
How about a photo?
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
cal333
Not Yet Wild

THANKS for the quick response! - the damage is beyond repair mostly because the grille and headlight assemblies are toast - without replacement parts I am forced to replace the front end with another complete assembly - maybe someone from out west will know of a used Western that is available for parts or cheap as a complete cart that I can salvage the front fiberglass from - I really don't want to junk the cart, but without a front end assembly I might have to
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0204.jpg (54.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

You won't be able to get any replacement parts for this cart as Western has been out of business/production since late 2006.
The parts that are on it as far as the grille goes are a made up of parts from Chrysler. You may have to find a grille assembly and cut it down to size.
I'm not sure about the headlight assemblies but with a little imagination and a trip to an auto wrecker may prove fruitful.
The headlights are probably just a simple driving light with a 55w bulb in them.
The headlight covers can be made from acrylic and heat formed to fit your cart. We have a company out here called Tap Plastics that would do just that.
The rest is just fiberglass and fixable.
To me, it looks repairable, not cheap, but repairable.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
cal333
Not Yet Wild

THANKS AGAIN for your help and suggestions - I do have a good friend here in Iowa that has an excellent body shop - I'll have him look at it - I am sure he can repair the fiberglass - the grille, headlights, etc might require some custom fabrication - the cart is just too nice to junk out - it might be easier to put a EZGO front end on it but I'll let the body shop make that decision - what a great forum! - I will post some pictures on an antique Cushman cart I inherited years ago that needs a new home (1950's vintage) - stick shift with clutch, etc - someone might be interested in it - complete old cart missing only an original steering wheel (someone put a boat steering wheel on it years ago)
Old 01-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Good luck with your project, I'm sure it will turn out fine.
Seems a shame to write off a great cart. Replacement of that one, if you could find one used, would probably be in the $3000 range.
My son did not set the brake on mine and it rolled down a hill into the rocks in a creek bed. I learned a lesson, he offered to pay for the damage but for the $300 it is going to cost me to fix, I won't make him pay. The next time he needs a cart at the course, he should have about $300 he can rent one with.
Hope your son is OK after the crash.
What did your son say about the wreck?
What were the consequences?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
cal333
Not Yet Wild

My son is very responsible, but his twin sister is not - she has only one speed on anything she drives - 2 of her friends and the family dog took on a mail box post - no one was seriously hurt - the story kept changing until a police officer showed up and then the truth surfaced and it wasn't the dog's fault - she learned a lesson in being responsible and stuck Dad with another repair tab - but that's what daughters do to their fathers...spend their money...
Old 01-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Sorry to assume it was your son. My kids are about equal in the cost of parenthood scale.
I have 5 kids and when they hit about 13, I changed from being the dad to just a wallet.
Now that they're all on their own, I'm a dad again.

Be sure to keep us posted on your cart progress.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts