lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #1
cwensil
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 EZGO Marathon starts moving with F/R switch

Hello everyone our family just happened upon a 1987 marathon and I was told there was no key but it ran. I was excited that with a 1.25 fuse the charger worked and did charge the batteries. The issue is that when I move the F/R switch to either position the cart starts moving in that direction without hitting the pedal. I checked the connections. Nothing looks overly rigged up and and a brief comparison to wiring diagrams I didn't see anything glaringly wrong. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance for any insight.
cwensil is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-15-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
surfsano
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1987 EZGO Marathon starts moving with F/R switch

Mine was doing the same because the wiper board connections were bent around the edges a little and they were arching. I filed around the connections and it stopped. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
surfsano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: 1987 EZGO Marathon starts moving with F/R switch

Just fixed an old resistor Marathon last week. same symptom. ended up being a very well-baked solenoid which was welded. Ours would take off without gas pedal, just by putting it in Forward or Reverse--would be at speed 1. The wiper board stops at speed 1 and the micro-switch is what kills the power when you let off the gas pedal. So if solenoid was welded closed you'd have speed 1 all the time unless in neutral.

I wish they still made resistor cars personally. VERY simple to work on, and parts are cheap. With customers getting cheaper with each generation lately, they really need to make a comeback. No one today likes being out $650 for an RXV controller because they forgot to put the car in TOW before pushing it home.

There have been times I've converted a controller Marathon to resistor because they refused to pay the price for a rebuilt controller. Not hard to do, really. Even managed to get an old Ruff N Tuff car going since the Chinese controller was non-obtainable but ran great with a Harley style Resistor/Solenoid control.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts