lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #1
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Default Another No-Starter

Looks like everybody is having no-start issues.

I've put 16 hours on it with zero problems since I put on the new coil last month. Then, I went to pull it in and...no-start.

I occasionally get a mild backfire. If I crank it long enough I get a weird vibration/rattle that then goes away.

I pulled the plug and have spark. I pulled the fuel line and it pumps gas when turning over. I pulled the air line so the box is bypassed and still nothing (manual choke doesn't do anything).

So, do I start by cleaning the carb? Or, I was wondering if the valves might need adjusted?

I know I havne't checked everything yet...problem is my evenings have been crazy busy and I was hoping to have a game plan from expert advice rather than just start throwing noodles at the wall to see what sticks.

Thanks in advance!

Nathan
Nlb7928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #2
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Another No-Starter

Was it an OEM coil or aftermarket?
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

Well, the first one was aftermarket and it didn't work. So I spent the $160 and got the Kawasaki.

I pulled the plug and it shoots a great big blue spark.

I'm guessing carb because otherwise wouldn't the plug look wet from all the cranking and choking?
Old 06-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Can't hurt to check valve clearance but sounds like the carb is dirty. Possibly the main jet or main pilot tube is clogged.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #5
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I set the valves but that didn't do anything.

I thought I would try a little starting fluid...maybe if it would run it could suck the carb clean . Nope, starting fluid just created a minor pop. But, since I had the air cleaner line off I did a little manual choke.

The backfire out of the carb told me a few things. I have spark. I have gas. I have flame visible where gasket should have been between the carb and the engine. I will yank the carb tonight and cut a new gasket. Should solve the problem.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:15 PM   #6
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

The gasket and cleaning the carb did not work.

If the carb is dirty it should still fire on starting fluid. But all I get is an occasional flame out the carb and an occasional "chuff" out the exhaust. The chuff sounds like an old hit-and-miss engine, it's not a huge backfire.

I guess I'm going to put a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug hole...other than that I'm at a loss.

Nathan
Old 06-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #7
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

The plug was out when I set the valve. Well, i put the MMO in and put the plug back in. I then turned it by hand to move the Marvel Mystery Oil around and...I may need to do a compression test. it sure seemed to turn easy by hand.

I might be able to borrow one over the weekend to determine cylinder pressure. what is optimum cylinder pressure?
Old 06-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #8
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

from my manual on 2008 DS w/ Kawasaki FE290

Quote:
GENERAL INFORMATION
Test cylinder compression using a standard compression tester. Low compression would normally indicate a problem in the cylinder assembly such as defective rings, gaskets, etc. At a cranking speed of 550-600 RPM, the compression should be 156-185 psi.
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
Nlb7928
Not Yet Wild

I went and borrowed my dad's compression tester before work this morning because it was buggin me real bad. I was glad I knew that I should be shooting for 150+. However, it couldn't even get it up to 30!!!

I had no problems before this. I had replaced the coil in June with a Kawasaki Coil. It was running so good I extended the gas pedal travel to take me from 10mph to 12-13mph (via GPS phone app). I put 16 hours on it since the new coil. When it quit, we had just done a 2 mile tour around the farm with no indications of problems. I parked it outside and when I went to pull it in it wouldn't start.

So, what's next? I don't really know. I set the valve lash through all this and the valves seemed to go up and down. I guess I pull the jug off next? I think I did that once 25 years ago with a ATV I had, but that's my only experience with that. What am I doing, looking for cracks and leaks? I guess if it's at 0 psi compression, whatever it is should be pretty obvious right?

Last year, I had a backfire issue (huge backfire explosions when trying to start hot). I used the Marvel Mystery Oil down the ol' spark plug hole trick to clean the valves and it stopped backfiring. I had no other issues til this spring when it was hard starting and the new coil took care of that.

I appreciate you'alls help as I stumble through this.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 06-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #10
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

That’s no fun. Really only one thing causes that. Either the cam gear wheel is stripped or the rivets that hold the gear to the cam fell out.

You should be able to verify by removing the rocker cover and turning the motor. If the cam gear is damaged the valves won’t move when the motor turns.

Last edited by Fairtax4me; 06-28-2019 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car