lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!
Big Block Talk! Everything about swapping a big block engine into your cart!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-03-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
webn237
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Turbocharged or Supercharged carts?

Just curious who all has successfully turbocharged or supercharged there carts? I am in a middle of a custom build and want to do either one on my 18hp Vanguard. Suggestions and opinions? I found a few links but all of the photos have a broken link in them so I can't see how they have done it.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
webn237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
BIKERMIKEYBLACK
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Turbocharged or Supercharged carts?

I believe 1989 marathon has a supercharger on his vanguard maybe he will chime in
BIKERMIKEYBLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
webn237
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIKERMIKEYBLACK View Post
I believe 1989 marathon has a supercharger on his vanguard maybe he will chime in
He was one of the forums I was reading and none of the photos would show up for any of the comments. I'm not sure if its because its from 2013?

Old 11-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

1989Marathon has been excommunicated. He took all his photos with him.

I did keep up with most of his posts on his supercharger project. He was running lean with his setup, making tons of power. The lean condition caused him to burn a hole in one of his pistons, if I remember correctly. His solution was to engineer a fuel injection setup, which was very complicated. He never did finish the fuel injection, at least not that I'm aware of.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

If you could use a turbocharger, it would be more efficient and simple. The biggest issue is fuel delivery. You would have to find a carburetor that enjoys added atmospheric pressure. AF Ratios would need to be monitored. Fuel would delivery would need to be adjustable and progressive. That's the challenge, keeping AF ratios consistent enough to be safe and reliable.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #6
rib33024

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-b...tml#post464403
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If you could use a turbocharger, it would be more efficient and simple. The biggest issue is fuel delivery. You would have to find a carburetor that enjoys added atmospheric pressure. AF Ratios would need to be monitored. Fuel would delivery would need to be adjustable and progressive. That's the challenge, keeping AF ratios consistent enough to be safe and reliable.
---
1989Marathon has been excommunicated. He took all his photos with him.

I did keep up with most of his posts on his supercharger project. He was running lean with his setup, making tons of power. The lean condition caused him to burn a hole in one of his pistons, if I remember correctly. His solution was to engineer a fuel injection setup, which was very complicated. He never did finish the fuel injection, at least not that I'm aware of.
Yeah he got all mad or something, that was a cool project.

Problem is you have normal and then you have boost. You really need more fuel under boost and you need less timing under boost. Its WAY better to have a computer efi do this for you. If you set one up for boost it runs poorly off boost. There are ways of doing some of this mechanically but its difficult, such as a vacuum on a distributor and things like that, boost pressure switch rigged to a fuel enrichment, etc. Then you have to keep the engine in one piece while you do this. Then you see why people just use race parts that are proven instead, or use a motorcycle engine, etc. Naturally I would be one of the first ones to tell you to go for it, if that is what you want to do! Just be aware of the problems and how to solve them. On the other hand I know some have done them and just don't put any serious boost to it, its more for show and with only few lbs of boost you can get away without doing as much.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
rib33024

Here's another nice one

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/membe...trous-etc.html
Old 11-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #9
webn237
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
His cart is badass to say the least! Sounds like it is going to fly also! I looks like he has its own turbo for each cylinder. So I would think 2 cylinders into one smaller turbo should work although his engine has EFI.

Old 11-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #10
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by webn237 View Post
His cart is badass to say the least! Sounds like it is going to fly also! I looks like he has its own turbo for each cylinder. So I would think 2 cylinders into one smaller turbo should work although his engine has EFI.

Yeah it is badazz Maybe he can help you out on some questions. I know nothing about turbos. But I love them.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk!